Thread: How good is my computer??

How good is my computer??

This is the first computer I ever built (for gaming and extreme multitasking purposes) and I just wanted to know from some people who definitely know a lot more about computers than myself .. How good is this thing?
    I like to stream, download movies, listen to music, and game at the same time .. So I'd like to know if this setup will do the trick

Video Card
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127608

Case
    Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133191

Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131773

Power Supply
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139021

CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

RAM
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231402

Hard Drive
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136513

If you see room for improvement feel free to let me know.
    All feedback is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much guys!

Re: How good is my computer??

I'm not a hardware expert but it looks great! You could probably make it better although, I wouldn't know. I have 16GB RAM in my gaming pc.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

- RAM is on the slow side. I'd definitely get something faster, at least 1600 MHz.
    - Get an SSD to use a the boot drive and a HDD for data storage. The WD HDD you listed is OK for data storage but will be very slow for to be the OS drive. Currently, you can get a 128GB Samsung 830 series SSD for around $90.
    Other than those mentioned, everything else looks great.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

The reason I asked this is because I just installed BioShock2 on my computer and for some reason I cannot play it due to insane lag. My computer should be able to handle a game like BS2 on max settings no prob right? I didnt even have any other programs running in the background so do you guys think I need to upgrade something or do you think there is something wrong with my computer?

Fanatic Member

could be some drivers are missing?

its definitely a software issue. allthough if you are overclocking anything you might want to rethink that because hardware nowadays will underclock itself if it overheats. also make sure your fans are acceptable. But that should play anything. I am playing skyrim on max settings on a dual-core with a 1/2 height vid card. You may also want to keep an eye out for patches as x64 systems often have problems running games when they are first released for one reason or another. check the forums for the game.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    - RAM is on the slow side. I'd definitely get something faster, at least 1600 MHz.
    - Get an SSD to use a the boot drive and a HDD for data storage. The WD HDD you listed is OK for data storage but will be very slow for to be the OS drive. Currently, you can get a 128GB Samsung 830 series SSD for around $90.
    Other than those mentioned, everything else looks great.
    That is some nice ram (low latency), running ram at 1600 would be overclocking, Intel i5 2500K doesn't officially support ram faster then 1333, should your CPU die and are asked what board, ram, settings, etc you are using and you tell Intel your ram is running at anything faster then 1333 they can reject your RMA and void the warranty, same goes for ram voltage, IIRC running anything higher then 1.5V on a Intel core i5/7 chip voids the warranty as well,.. of course you could always lie. Intel even has an extra warranty for like $25, its a one time thing... if the cpu dies they replace it no questions asked.

Adding an SSD does make a nice difference, I thought my 10K RPM Raptor drivers were fast until I got an SSD.

well it's perfect except the motherboard.. your pc is great for gaming anyways.. have fun

i dont care what the game is. system ram is never the bottleneck no matter what speed you're running it, as long as you have enough of it.

Hard Drive:
    I would definitely upgrade your hard drive.... if you don't like the price/size ratio of solid state there are alternatives one being a western digital 1000 rpm velociraptor drive, also a few companies make hybrid drives something to look into.

Ram:
    Also G. Skill I highly recommend for budget ram (they make very good ram for the price) but if performance trumps price... either go higher end g. skill, or find find some higher priced low latency sticks on the best frequency your board can handle.

The Case:
    I usually stay away from Thermaltake cases, they usually come stock with great airflow (adequate amount of fans and case design for constant airflow) that being said they seem cheaply built, flimsy. Antec make GREAT cases.

But to answer your question, Yes your computer is good. Sandy Bridge + MSI videocard + enough ram to back it, you shouldn't have a problem.

tekzilla just did an episode on how much ram do you need, and the result was basically you aren't going to even be able to get a benchmark to tell the difference in your ram's speed. There isn't an appreciable difference in system performance even between single and dual channel configurations. Ram speed is not the performance bottleneck on modern systems. It's the video card on games almost always. Even new games on shelves now only require dual-core processors and most get by on 2gb ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    i dont care what the game is. system ram is never the bottleneck no matter what speed you're running it, as long as you have enough of it.
    I agree with you but sometimes the VGA uses some of the RAM to run on higher performance.. so you must have excess of it not just enough but anyways whatever is enough for games is the VGA card.