Thread: [RESOLVED] What is the answer to this ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] What is the answer to this ?

Name:  163584_165992090231973_792876388_n.jpg
Views: 3624
Size:  10.1 KB

I just saw the above on FaceBook.. Using the order of operations, the answer I came to was 1. However, a number of commenters insist passionately that the answer is 9. Some of them offer some semblance of an explanation why but I must admit, I was lost. Some people said they used something called PEDMAS which I honestly never heard of before (I know it as BOMDAS) and some people talked about some distribution principle behind their conclusions.

I'd be the first to admit that math really isn't my strong suit. I know that sounds strange coming from a programmer.

My question is, who is right ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Re: What is the answer to this ?

Morning Niya,

The answer to this, using the rules of BODMAS is 9, since BODMAS defines the rules for Math as:-

Brackets
    (over)
    Division
    Multiplication
    Addition
    Subtraction

Therefore:-

1) (1+2) is calculated first = 3
    2) 6/2 is calculated next = 3
    3) 3*3 is calculated last = 9

If you are still not too sure, just chuck the expression into Excel for confirmation.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Oh its BODMAS...Division before multiplication. I get it now.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Oh its BODMAS...Division before multiplication. I get it now.
    Not quite, the Multiplication/Division and Addition/Subtraction come in the order they appear. The only reason division comes first in this particular scenario is because it actually appears to the left of the multiplication.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    The only reason division comes first in this particular scenario is because it actually appears to the left of the multiplication.
    I really never knew this. I thought the order was fixed.

Thanks.

Only Slightly Obsessive jemidiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Not quite, the Multiplication/Division and Addition/Subtraction come in the order they appear. The only reason division comes first in this particular scenario is because it actually appears to the left of the multiplication.
    FWIW, as a PhD student in math, I agree entirely. Realistically you'll confuse people with the sort of expression above so you should just use extra brackets, but the common convention does cover this case and gives 9, not 1.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    Bertrand Russell

<- Remember to rate posts you find helpful.

Banned

As per BODMAS rule it's answer is 9