dcsimg

Thread: Is MLApp as a reference necessary? I use ML = CreateObject("Matlab.Application")

Hybrid View

Smile Is MLApp as a reference necessary? I use ML = CreateObject("Matlab.Application")

Hi guys, I have a project that calls Matlab as a COM server.
    I define : ML = CreateObject("Matlab.Application")
    and use ML.Execute("...") or Call ML.PutWorkspaceData("x", "base", z)
    and such.

Recently when I deployed the project in VS2010 Win7 and get the setup.exe, and run it on an XP machine,
    I got an error during installation : Could not register type library for file MLApp.tlb...
    And when I exclude the MLApp.tlb from the installer project, build it again , the installer run on the XP with no errors.

So I'm just wondering whether the MLApp.tlb is necessary for the application. The workaround by excluding it from the installer project works
    probably only because I have installed that program on that XP several times and the library was already registered, or some other reasons.
    Any ideas appreciated.Thx
    Last edited by SandiegoSSD; Jul 30th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

Re: Is MLApp as a reference necessary? I use ML = CreateObject("Matlab.Application")

It sounds like you might be using Late Binding. If that is the case, then the reference to the library won't be needed for the program to compile, but the library will still have to be installed on the target system. As you noted, if it was already installed previously, then you wouldn't need to install it again, which may be all you are seeing. It's not a great long term solution, though, because you still have to get that thing installed on any system that doesn't already have it, so fixing the error is still worthwhile.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing