Thread: vb6 .exe file crashed!

vb6 .exe file crashed!

im wondering why my vb6 .exe file installed on a windows 7 client pc crashes after closing a form with crystal report viewer 9. in my development Pc it is okay, but whenever i try to run it in that PC it always crashes! what seems to be the problem? need help on this one..

PowerPoster

Re: vb6 .exe file crashed!

either it is corrupted? or need to run as administrator for Crystal Report Viewer 9 (go to vb6.exe right click Run As Administrator)

PowerPoster

i have windows 7 ... vb6.exe never crashed BUT it gave me error here and there with reference/additional Components... i did what i told you to do and since then its ok run as admin and no problem! and... maybe you did not register crystal report viewer9 properly (just a thought) ... i get problems when registering a file with RegSvr32... it never works i have to open a dos prompt (run as administrator) and do it in there... then it works

sorry if i am completely wrong just an idea maybe to look at

okay i've tried it but it's still there.. i run the .exe file as administrator, i thought it works coz it generates the report however when i tried it for the 2nd time it crashes again.. i also registered the crviewer9.dll in CMD (as administrator) but the problem's still there. do you think it's a registry error issue?

PowerPoster

hmm did you run as admin 2nd time?
    go to your main directory where vb is installed and right click on vb6.exe and check the checkbox for Run as admin... if you did i'm not sure whats wrong... when does it create the error right when you load your project or when you "Run" the project... if its when you run the project i would think its a code error?

aha! we're not making it clear for us. what i'm saying a .exe file is a project developed using VB6, i compiled an executable file of it, made an installer and install it on a client PC. i've installed the system in my development PC and it works fine however when i installed it on a client PC it crashes. there you go..

PowerPoster

make sure the dll for crystal report is registered on the client pc and maybe something in your code is wrong or does not work for win7 if you have xp there might be an API that does not work for Win 7 making it crash... sorry bud but i have to go its Canada Day!! i wish i could help more but i do no have crystall report good luck

thanks for the help dude.. my development Pc is also running a Windows 7 OS that's why i can't figure out what causes the crash thing.. thanks again..

PowerPoster

Does the client have all required dll/ocx? And they will have to be registered with the cmd prompt un as admin... that is the only problem i could see... maybe the installation does not register ALL dll correctly? Have you checked your code maybe it is a folder you are using and they didnt create... do you get an error? What does the error say that would help alot

PowerPoster

One more thing maybe the file was opened the first time and never got closed so all the 2nd time after did not work?

Its hard when you dont see what happening... can you take screenshot of error if any or post your code for when it open/write crystal report in yor program

actually i tested it in other client PCs and everything work well except for that specific PC. so i think the code is not the problem, coz if it is then the other two will have the same problem too ryt? ryt now im still reviewing the runtime help files of crystal, maybe it will solve the problem. i'll inform you bro if it doesn't work too.