dcsimg

Thread: SSRS Report Events

Frenzied Member

SSRS Report Events

I have an application which uses the ReportViewer control to load up some SSRS reports and display them within the app. We have some custom code that runs on the RenderingBegin and RenderComplete events which does various things with the data. We want to be able to run these reports using the SSRS scheduling and not have them be dependent on the application, but I can't find a way to fire off related events within the SSRS reports themselves.

There is a code window in the SSRS designer where you can add some custom code, but that seems mainly related to display and the like and doesn't look like it has anything related to event handling. Is that possible within SSRS or am I going to need to have it bound to a .NET application in order to have that sort of thing happen?
    (VB/C#) is clearly superior to (C#/VB) because it (has/doesn't have) <insert trivial difference here>.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: SSRS Report Events

ssrs doesn't reallly support events in the way you're describing and you're right about the code window, it's for formatting and display rather than control flow. I went down a similar path a while back and got nowhere. That might have changed in the latest version but I doubt it.

I think what you're actually looking for are the subscriptions that are built into ssrs itself. Go to the report manager and, assuming you've got the right priveleges, you'll see a subscriptions tab where you can schedule automatic runs of the reports. It's mainly geared towards users setting up their own subscriptions but it can also be used to to "preset" some automatic deliveries.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Actually, the database fields are encrypted and the decryption routines are done in .NET (it's a Sybase database which was built for a VB6 appliaction, so the encryption is weird). Basically, the pre-render pulls all the data into tables in the tempdb and decrypts the fields and the post-render deletes the temp tables so that the decrypted data isn't sitting in the database.

I've got the routines to do that in a dll, and I want to have the SSRS fire off that dll to do these processes before and after the report runs. From what I've been able to see, SSRS doesn't have that functionality. I think I'll just build a .NET app that fires off the reports through a ReportViewer and keep things the way that they are.
    (VB/C#) is clearly superior to (C#/VB) because it (has/doesn't have) <insert trivial difference here>.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

From what I've been able to see, SSRS doesn't have that functionality
    I think you're right. The subscriptions will let you run a report according to a schedule but thery're not going to let you do any pre or post processing because that's not part of SSRS.

One way or another I think you're going to need something external to do what you want and a VB.Net app sounds as good as anything else to me. The only extra thing I'd suggest would be to implement it as a service and then deploy it to the SSRS machine, just to keep everything in one place.

Actually, I just had one other thought that might be useful. If you took those encryption and decryption methods and converted them to CLR functions you could call them from a sproc and query the data in between the calls. You could then set the sproc as the command for the report and that would allow you to use the SSRS subscriptions. That's starting to sound like quite a treck from where you're at now but might be worth considering if you're really sold on the idea of using SSRS's own scheduling functionality.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Ya, unfortunately we're using a Sybase database, so we can't put them into stored procedures.