dcsimg

Thread: Can I replace the imported Interop 'AxMSComm' w/ 'MSComm'?

Can I replace the imported Interop 'AxMSComm' w/ 'MSComm'?

Hi folks,
    I'm porting a program from vb6 and it used the old MSComm class to do some serial communication. As some of you know, when ActiveX controls are upgraded there's a prefix "Ax-" added to the class name. So now in the Main Menu. Designer.vb the definition for the serial comm control becomes:

Public WithEvents MSComm1 As AxMSCommLib.AxMSComm

later I'm having some errors (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A017C (CTL_E_INVALIDPROPERTYVALUE)) on the line
    frmMainMenu.MSComm1.Output = Chr(CommandFrameSize)

which I believe there's something wrong with the type of the right side of the equation. but that's not my biggest concern now.
    I'm just wondering, can I replace this interop AxMSComm with the MSComm which I saw in the Object Browser in VB08? Will that get rid of the whole interop deal?

I guess my ultimate resort is I can use System.IO.Ports.SerialPort to do the serial communication, which is the .net way to do it, which means I need to get rid of the Interop and a lot of rewrites..

Ideas appreciated thx

Addicted Member

Re: Can I replace the imported Interop 'AxMSComm' w/ 'MSComm'?

The System.IO SerialPort is the way to go. At first glance it may seem more complicated or awkward if your used to MSComm but the fact is that it is easier more reliable and more versatile. As you progress through the conversion post any snippets you need help with.

PowerPoster

Agreed, You should be using the serialport class, it shouldnot be to difficult to switch, depending on how you need to use it in your project.

Yeah... well..I was thinking of making some minor changes so that the interop would work using the converted code but..what the hell..I'll study some SerialPort material.
    Thanks guys