Thread: PHP faster then .NET?

Fanatic Member

PHP faster then .NET?

A client I am working with is going to send a redesign/recode his current functioning site to India. Appears two firms have told him PHP functions faster then asp.net.

The site is for clients to log into that they can see reports of their customers. The database is larger (40-60G) in data.

They will be moving from vbscript/.net/MS SQL Server to PHP/MySQL.

Is this true, php is faster then .net?

King of sapila

Re: PHP faster then .NET?

I don't know but if the size is large then the amount of coding need to be done to move asp to php is an important factor, don't you think?
    If they have vbscript in there then i suspect they are using asp and not asp.net so i would prefer to go the asp.net way.Another factor is the MS SQL to MySQL, are they sure that they are going to pull it?I mean clearly they will have to redesign all the database again and pass the data and that is not a factor that can be taken lightly.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Fanatic Member

sapator - most of the site is done in vbscript (asp). There are some areas using .net for advanced functionality.

Yes, the purposal is to convert all code to php, convert the SQL Server db to MySQL and convert the new server from Windows 2008 to a linux server.

I guess what I am looking for is an honest answer if php is actually faster then .net. I have been doing this professionally for close to 10 years and have done a little php but mostly asp/aspx. If php is the best way to do things maybe I need to change my approach.

After Googling "PHP vs ASP.NET benchmarks" the answer seems to be both yes and no; it really depends on what you're doing.

When it came to PHP outclassing ASP.NET or vice versa, it was by nanoseconds -- which only really makes a difference on enterprise applications where thousands of people will be hitting the system at once, and even then most tests don't use anything ASP.NET has to offer like page caching or sql dependency caching.

Long story short -- arguing that you're making the change because either language is faster is pointless, what really makes the difference is development time (cost) and what will be easier for your company to manage after the system is built.

Also, I don't know why but I would also assume, off the top of my head, that ASP.NET would inherently run faster than PHP because it is compiled by default, whereas PHP is not (although it can be).

Quote Originally Posted by lleemon View Post
    sapator - most of the site is done in vbscript (asp). There are some areas using .net for advanced functionality.

Yes, the purposal is to convert all code to php, convert the SQL Server db to MySQL and convert the new server from Windows 2008 to a linux server.

I guess what I am looking for is an honest answer if php is actually faster then .net. I have been doing this professionally for close to 10 years and have done a little php but mostly asp/aspx. If php is the best way to do things maybe I need to change my approach.
    If they already have a Windows 2008 server and are using sql server, why would they even consider replacing all of that just to go to PHP on a whim?

Something doesn't add up there.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    If they already have a Windows 2008 server and are using sql server, why would they even consider replacing all of that just to go to PHP on a whim?

Something doesn't add up there.
    Two other firms the owner knows have said to move to php since 'it is faster'. I myself do not think it is but I don't have data to back up .net is just as fast or faster.

It depends on the servers, the connection(s) and the code. I can write crappy code that could make PHP run slower than ASP.NET... By the same token I can write crappy code that makes ASP.NET run slower than PHP. I could also write highly inefficient queries that will slow them both down.

Beware the consultants whose recommendation leads them to new business...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Listen if the #!$$#@@$# owner wants php then give him php + MySQL and make sure to charge an important amount of $$ for it.For goodness shakes!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·