Page 1 of 104 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Times of War Development Team

Cool Times of War Development Team

It's been a long time since we've first set out Times of War. Many things on this post were irrelevant. Feel free to skip to the last page(s) and view what's been going on with Times of War. You're also welcome to ask any questions you like, regarding Times of War.

Remember to watch the news ticker at the bottom of my signature. That's all for now, make sure to visit the website when I say there's an update. Very soon we will have a fully automated website, which I'm sure will make it a lot easier to post news, etc.

The ToW website currently is http://www.crystal-rain.com/
    Last edited by Sastraxi; Aug 27th, 2002 at 10:47 AM.
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

What? Ooops...sorry, I'm a bumbling fool

I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

Zaei
    You didnt list Gameplay, or AI, but i guess that will fit into "Putting it all together" =).

Z.

Yeah, there's another spot to be filled thanks to Zaei (I wonder who will sign up? )

• Gameplay, AI, interface (training units, upgrading, attacking, moving, building buildings, etc.)
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

Zaei
    I already signed up =).

Z.

anoop007
    Someone to help me put the whole thing together (programming)

Shall i do that?

Bumble bumble,

Oooh, hi guys!

Ignore me - Im just a fool bumbling around.

Well, I'm neither a member, nor (as explained) have the time to join, but I can hover around your thread as it's just next door to the Sentience thread and post comments and ideas...

That is, if you want me too. If you'd rather I didn't come back in here in case I'm practising industrial espionage then let me know....

Some thoughts - you may benefit from Behemoth and I's experience in working on Sentience.

You may want to create a manual as you're working on the game so when you post versions for testing (ala Sentience) people understand what's happening. I didn't and most people still don't understand what's supposed to be happening in the game.

Document everything and give them version numbers. It'll be tedious but will pay dividend in the long run.

Make sure everyone has a list of things they're supposed to be working on and they know exactly where they're up to at all times. If you ever hear the words 'I thought you were doing that' you know you're in trouble.

Make it as modular as possible. Make a general framework to hold the game together and then allow for the addition of modules to add functionality. We did with Sentience and although it took 8 months to build a solid framework, look at the speed we're adding functionality now.

Define all the variables at the beginning. Something we should have done. I find myself now with redundant variables and missing some I really would have wanted. Same with formulae.

OK, I'll leave you in peace now. Dunno if what I've said is of any help but good luck with it.

Gentile or Jew,
    O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
    Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you...

Anoop007
    I would love to have you on our team!
    The part you are taking place in involves things such as making the menus and GUI functional, making sure the game works, fixing bugs, etc. If you find anything that needs to be done, but nobody else does it, that's your job. I am also a "Putting everything together" programmer, although I am also putting in the database -> UDT code, and Zaei seems to want to do the Gameplay and AI.

Arbiter

Those are the kinda things I want to hear! Thank you for letting our team learn from your mistakes. In the credits you will surely be there! I am making a manual right now to let people know how the game works. I will probably need some gfx first, but I don't know whether to go Diamond-Tile or Square-Tile. I'm not sure what to use....

Thank you all for your constructive ideas.
    (Just a heads-up)

I have good skills in VB programming, and I'm learning Windows/DirectX programming in C++. I sure hope you can use me on your team! I have always dreamt of being a member on a game team!
    razor
    Software Engineer Student, Aalborg University, Denmark
    http://www.cs.auc.dk

My email at AUC: will get a new email soon
    My website: http://www.razorsoftware.net

Windows XP Pro/ Gentoo Linux (Laptop)
    Windows XP Pro (Home PC)

If development is still going at mid-July then I'd love to help on any C++-related stuff
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

Okay: We've got some programmers now:

• VB programmer to do main DDraw loop. - Nobody!!!
    • 3D modelers (preferably with 3DSMax) to make models from 2d unit gfx (low priority) - Nobody!!!
    • Gameplay, AI, interface (training units, upgrading, attacking, moving, building buildings, etc.) - Zaei
    • Someone to help me put the whole thing together (programming) - Anoop007
    • C Programmer to make a DLL compatible with VB that blits on the GUI. - PsyVision

We need a VB programmer to do the graphics for in the game! I also need a 3D modeller to make some graphics for the movies, such as the intro movie, the finish movie, and the defeat movie, etc.

I am also glad to announce that we will be using WarMaster's D3D engine to render all of the frames for movies and such.

So... anyone else want to sign up? (we need a full team)

Anyways, here's what I want you guys to do in the meantime:

PsyVision - I want a DLL that allows you to input an hDC/Filename to the DLL and it will blit it.
    Zaei - Since you have the database, could you make a module that calculates damage? The damage is:

Health - (Random (1/2 of Attack) to (Attack))

I know it's not much to do but it will keep you occupied for about 5 minutes.

Anoop007 - I'm going to email you a database and I need you to write some MODULE ONLY code to access the database and input it into a UDT. (no controls involved.) I'll email you also the specific details.

If I didn't mention you here, ASK ME what you are supposed to do!

vb.den@gmx.co.uk
    (Just a heads-up)

What should I do??
    razor

Windows XP Pro (Home PC)

What part did you want to take part in?
    (Just a heads-up)

I would prefer AI and interface, but I'll take what ever you through at me! (if I can of course! )
    razor

Windows XP Pro (Home PC)

Frenzied Member
    Allright, if i'm correct (hehe) you require me to create a Dll in C++ that will aloow you to specify a hDC and a filename. The Dll should then open the file and blit it to the specified hDC ?

P.s Sastraxi - When oh when do you go on ICQ ?

Just been talking to him on MSN...you should use either that or Trillian, so you can get on ICQ, Yahoo, and MSN simultaneously.
    -- Linus Torvalds

ICQ 84479333, but I reinstalled my computer and am not gunna get it (bugs galore!), so get me on MSN:

sastraxi@hotmail.com
    (Just a heads-up)

Zaei
    Eek. I have a job. Sorry, havent been on this thing all
    day.

Sas, Should the "Health" part in your algo be
    TOTAL health, or CURRENT? Ive used current health in a
    game before, as sort of a fatigue measurement (ie, the
    player or enemy could only do damage up to thier
    current health). Mind, that game was on some severe
    memory restrictions (30K< Sourcecode, It was a TI 83
    game =), but it works. Anyway, let me know what you
    want me to do, or whatever. I can probably be more
    reliably contacted at either my home email(dec-
    arrowflight@home.com) or k0k0_krispies@yahoo.com.
    And that goes for anyone else on the team too =).

Z.

Zaei
    Oh yeah, go with Diamond tiles. Iso engines Rock =).

Z.

Question hey i wanderd in here

ummmmmmmmm
    to make a lorg story short im willing to do the visual basic part if noone has signed up for it. antways someone has to do it. but i would like to have some one work with me on this if its gets really complicated
    u can reach me at my email address which is
    below and probaly the only way of communicating with me ecept here, and if im excepted i will never forget this

i surf the web mostly at night and during school in comp class

oh u all forgot one thing howabout multiplayer and that kind of tihs
    Last edited by wazup guys; Apr 16th, 2001 at 03:43 AM.
    wahuah

talk to me about macromedia flash mx, Visual Basic, Vbscript, Html

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

Okay Zaei - These units are the TEMPLATES for units. Therefore Base Health values are the maximum health. I added the Max. Health because if some units were upgraded too much (not trained) they could become more powerful then other units.

When you create a unit in the game, they also have current health properties, X, Y, and several other state properties.

Wazup Guys
    Great! If you are willing to do the VB Ddraw loop, then you are welcome to do so. As long as you have [at least some] experience on Game Development, you are welcome to join. Just note that you will need no VB skills if you are modelling the 3D images [also note that this is low-priority and is only used for the movies and such].

Multiplayer will be supported but we will only do that when we have completed single player. Also there will be a map editor, but after multiplayer. Users will be able to decide between Real-World, Fantasy, and their own (custom names for units and buildings) settings for the maps. There will also probably be a campaign editor, but note that this is all in the future, and is optional.
    (Just a heads-up)

Okay... Remember Warcraft I? That's about what we're going for right now, but when it's finished it should be more or less Starcraft .
    (Just a heads-up)

Question ok

ok let me know this right now witch is more important
    vb ddrawloop, or the 3d images cause i dont want to waist time if u know what i mean

let me know if i understand this right that u want 3d images to be viewed as 2d

when u said that the final product will be like star craft did u mean graphics or the over game style
    wahuah

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

I mean the whole game will be DDraw, but the Intro Movie will be rendered with DirectX (cause of all the nifty features), so that's why I need 3D models based off of 2D sprites.

2D images and the DDraw loop are more important.
    (Just a heads-up)

Zaei
    Sas, I read something about Multiplayer on flipcode or
    gamedev.net. Pretty much the warning that I
    remember went something along the lines of If you dont
    design the code from the beginning with networking in
    mind, you will most likely have to rewrite most of the
    code to add it. It makes sense, so if we are going to
    have multiplayer, we should integrate as the game
    progresses, not at the end. Just my 2 cents, but i think
    its good advice.

Also, while im at it, I think that we all need to see some
    design docs, as soon as possible, so we all know where
    we are going, and so we all share a common vision.
    WIthout that, the game will be all higgldy piggldy(ahh,
    what an expression that is =). Thats 4 cents for you,
    there =).

Z.

Arrow Manual

Sastraxi et al.,

I would be willing to work on the aforementioned manual if you so wish. I can also help with unit, building, and upgrade titles.
    I am not a bowel.
    NON SVM BOVELLVS.
    Je ne suis pas des entrailles.
    Ich bin nicht ein Darm.
    No soy un intestino.
    Chan eil mi innigh.
    Ik ben niet een organenstelsel.
    Jeg er ikke en tarm.
    Jag är inte en tarm.
    Я не кишка.

Can you say it in another language?
    If so, don't hesitate to tell me!

Frenzied Member
    Sas, do u wish for the DLL to use direct x to blit (i hope so coz it will be quicker, i shall do the basic function then add some more to blit using a clear color (transparency) and to have fast blit as well)

Multiplay - Build it in as we go, but maybe comment out the parts until we have single player going, not sure there though.

Keep It O-O-P As Much As Possible

Yes, and I also want to have it so when you add an hDC or Filename, (such as BlitBottomGameGUI Pic1.hDC) all PURE MAGENTA (255, 0, 255), that colour is transparent.

Can you do that?
    (Just a heads-up)

Frenzied Member
    ok, this is what i can do so far, u specfy a bitmap file and a direct draw surface, the height, width of the image and it creates the surface from the image.

I got a vb exmaple that does CreateSurfaceFromFile and Fast blitting, i shall stick some code together tomorrow

Frenzied Member
    Right, i have called the DLL System.dll Unreal Torny Style

Frenzied Member
    Direct X 7 yeah ?

Yes it will be DX7 cuz I dont like the way that they do DDraw (pseudo-ddraw) in DX8. Another Q: How big should the tiles be? They are diamond-shaped, and the screen can be 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. What pixel size should the bounding-box be? (actual image size)
    (Just a heads-up)

Arrow

that manual to me sounds really nice when u get it i want a copy to help give me a starting point so i dont start at the wrong point
    wahuah

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

Tomorrow I will be starting the manual (Jorj too) and also be making the development notes (RTF format)
    (Just a heads-up)

let us know when ur done
    wahuah

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

Zaei
    Was just playing around in paint, and 100x50 seems to be a good Tile BB, at 1024x768. You could scale that down for the other resolutions, as well.

Z.

Question hey

i would like to know were does every body live thats working in this prog
    wahuah

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

anoop007
    me from Trivandrum, Kerala, India

Question hey i need some info for my doodlings

i need to know the tile size for all screen resolution or a formula i can use to determan it myself.
    i also need the max number of men on the screen
    i also need the max number of buildings there has to be one
    this will give me some things to play with so i can get started
    i have a bunch of things down on paper id like to start on
    i also need a shape for the tiles
    wahuah

bloody@cyberspace.org
    bloodycyborge@aol.com
    wazup_guys@hotmail.com

Zaei
    Diamond tiles, 100x50 at 1024x768 resolution looks good. The max number of men on screen is the number that can fit =). My big question is why a max on the buildings? If its not on the screen, you could just not draw it (give each building a RECT bounding box, then use the intersectrect API to check it its on the screen).

Z.

Page 1 of 104 12341151101 ... LastLast