Thread: [RESOLVED] Where can I download "Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition"

Resolved [RESOLVED] Where can I download "Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition"

Can Anyone tell me where I can download Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition ? This edition was a free download from Microsoft.

I searched. The thevbzone.com link does not work.

Thanks.
    Usefull VBF Threads/Posts I Found . My flickr page .
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

Re: Where can I download "Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition"

I had to roll over to the second page (oddly, this post was result #5 when I searched.... Google is on the ball!) ... anyways... I found this - http://morpheus.cc/ict/vb/vb5_and_vb6.htm which appears to have a link.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Where can I download "Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition"

WOW !!! Thanks man ! I wish I could give you rep 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Linked page
    Click HERE to download the 7.3 MB file - this could take 20 minutes on a 56K modem.
    Ha ha.
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Where can I download "Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition"

Hard to believe that is still available anywhere. It has been obsolete for a very long time. To give you an idea just how long it came out before Windows 98

Yes. Is is very old.
    I need it for a client who wanted to see my (VB6) source code of an ActiveX control on his own computer.
    I don't want to force him to buy VS6 from eBay or use a pirated version. VB5CCE seems next logical choice.

Quote Originally Posted by iPrank View Post
    Can Anyone tell me where I can download Visual Basic 5 Control Creation Edition ? This edition was a free download from Microsoft.
    https://winworldpc.com/winboards/viewtopic.php?t=8612 .. currently leads to https://sites.google.com/site/vbclas...edirects=0&d=1 -- and works today.

Thanks, but the thread is over four years old. I rather think that iPrank is not sitting around hoping for an answer at this point.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Thanks, but the thread is over four years old. I rather think that iPrank is not sitting around hoping for an answer at this point.
    Well I was! I searched far and wide, and given google led me here, I think others might do too. Hey, I'm just trying to help. :-)

This was gold dust to me. There are a lot of folks trying to find this link as I found on google. Microsoft crushed VB6 because that RAD made people fortunes (me included) and the professionals (AKA the ones earning less than a bus conductor) got jealous, so they killed it. Now you can't even buy it, so noting that VB5 CCE could be legally downloaded, I felt it important to revive that option. Hope you will support the anti elitist "lets make software practical again" movement too.

Fair enough, then.

By the way, haven't you been around here for a while? The name is pretty distinctive, and I'm sure I've seen it before with different capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    By the way, haven't you been around here for a while? The name is pretty distinctive, and I'm sure I've seen it before with different capitalization.
    Yep. See www.vb64.com .. my google moniker is L Ofaday. You'll also see me a lot on https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/f...221-bring-back :-)

LOfADay, thank you for recovering a link.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

Ps: See https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/f...ion-edition-fr (started to reinstate VB5cce as a bonafide download as MS just days ago "erased" their references to it). Pps: See also http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...rans-compiling (which will use VB5cce for one of it's versions).
    www.vb64.com logo courtesy of BadAssTechnologies by permission & with thanks.

PowerPoster

Of course even if Microsoft makes a software download free, that doesn't mean others can post copies and offer them to people. If you didn't get it from Microsoft yourself, it is pirated. The VB5 CCE EULA makes this very clear.

It is the same with other editions of VB5, VB6, etc. They all used similar License Agreements. You can transfer a copy to another developer for free or a fee but you give up all rights to the product and must turn over all documentation, software, and in theory even the box it came in where such exists.

So it is not possible to post VB5 CCE for downloading by random people ever. No more than you can with editions that Microsoft charged for.

These are licensed to individual developers, not companies and not machines. If you need to bring VB6 to a customer site you can do so and install it, you just need to uninstall it afterward.

There are also registry conflicts between VB5 and VB6 that can cause IDE and add-in failures. This was discovered back in 1998 by people porting programs from VB5 to VB6. It was made less of a problem in VB6 SP1 and later, but some IDEs still get into trouble if both versions are installed. Use a VM instead for VB5, do not install VB5 (any edition) on a VB6 machine.

All of this is history we've known for close to two decades now.

Hi dilettante, yes and that's why I will always tell people to obtain their own (vb5cce or vb6 is obviously better). I will not ever be distributing it (and that's why I didn't offer a link above). Until MS reinstate cce, as I requested and mentioned in prior post, I will have to assume people get it legit. Eg: you can buy old copies of the cce book with the CD still attached for $5 (inc postage) I see.

People should be encouraged to fight for their rights. They have to make up their own minds as to how to obtain VB5cce Iegally, but they should know there is plenty of evidence it was freely available and whilst they must get a legit copy, it WAS free. RAD was not a patentable concept and it helped many bright people, without formal training, to do well. We must not let MS or the likes just take RAD away from us. It is our duty not to fan MS scaremongering when it is not in people's interests (but I value your input as you have obviously thought it all through too).

Here's the tech bit -- MS once advertised (verbatim) "More than 250,000 developers are currently building ActiveX Controls using the freely downloadable version of"...cce. The EULA (which seems to be largely a copy of the VB5 pro commercial license) seems not to reflect it was free at all suggesting the EULA is questionable copy. Anyway, MS have been trying to shut down all evidence of this freely downloadable version ever since, but I have proof as do others. On other fronts, in an extreme interpretation of Iaw, if there is 250,000 in circulation (MS say), who's to say those offering links are not acting Iegit? In another interpretation of Iaw, there is such a thing as an "unfair contract" which can be made void as a result, and surely IMHO the definition of "unfair" would be allowing people to invest skills heavily in VB5/6, then not only discontinue it, but maliciously deny further copies and access to one's own skills. There have been various attempts to pursue this through due process, but MS is BIG (there are other aspects of fair play I won't bore you with ... monopoly, patent Iaw, which can be explored too).

Elroy said that MS would be after me with a "plethora" of writs (such a jolly fellow), but I know he means well and anyway had already carefully researched Iegality. One prob not mentioned yet is that no new IDE can plagiarise the VB6 IDE. It must be meaningfully different or something. This was a legal precedent made when there were numerous Lotus 123 clones to choose from. My guess is that would extend to syntax, so that's been thought through as well, and is why on the other forum I have stipulated that any user of T4 MUST own VB6 or accept that TransCompiling means changes to code.

I don't want MS to be forced to do anything -- I want someone like Gates or Satya to realise they might be cooking their own goose and help us rather than hinder, and likewise we will help them (as we have done). That's why I started that cce reinstatement petition (pls vote BTW). We need to restore RAD. VB6 perhaps not, but RAD yes! If that RAD happens to be familiar to VB6 users by using Dartmouth Basic, then sobeit

On a side issue, what do you think of my last question on ./showthread.php?842261-vb6-trans-compiling re VB6 License?
    Last edited by LOfADay; Jan 25th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.

PowerPoster

It was a free download, but it was never free to give away to others. A few book authors got permission from Microsoft to distribute it on CDs bound into the book, but the same license agreement applied.

There are degrees of never. If you are given something for free (in this case a license to use), you have a right to pass it on (unless explicitly forbidden) as long as you are not duplicating it (same as continuing to use it yourself). That was my interpretation. Many thanks for reply on the other channel.. I'm still digesting & should reply tomorrow.

PowerPoster

We've gone over this here in other threads many times. The EULA is clear: you cannot give it away without giving away your copy and then you have no rights anymore. You cannot give away 100 copies or even 2 copies. As soon as you give away 1 copy you no longer have any rights to it. Done.

Thus it is never legal to post the file where others can download it. At all.

PowerPoster

Here are some excerpts from the VB5 CCE EULA:

Software Product. Microsoft grants to you as an individual, a personal, nonexclusive license to make and use copies of the SOFTWARE for the sole purposes of designing, developing, and testing your software product(s) that are designed to operate in conjunction with any Microsoft operating system product. You may install copies of the SOFTWARE on an unlimited number of computers provided that you are the only individual using the SOFTWARE. If you are an entity, Microsoft grants you the right to designate one individual within your organization to have the right to use the SOFTWARE in the manner provided above.
    Software Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA, provided you retain no copies, you transfer all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade, any transfer must include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Both interpretations are possible under the law, but I can assure you that this site will stick with the more conservative one. What individuals will do is ultimately up to their own conscience, especially when it comes to software (where conscience tends to be less conscious), but a site like this won't be splitting legal hairs. That's for other sites.

Hyperactive Member

I agree with dilettante when he says that "We've gone over this here in other threads many times"
    I also believe that the EULA says what he says it says.
    What I don't believe is in the EULA legality (as with many other EULAs), and I don't believe that THAT EULA was written for the free VB5 CCE (it just doesn't make sense - it's probably there as the result of a simple copy/paste).
    Carlos

PowerPoster

I'm going to bump this thread with a link to where this can still be downloaded from Microsoft "directly", and by that I mean via the Wayback Machine archive of the Microsoft web page that offered this for download almost 22 years ago. There's a bit of redirect-palooza that happens with the San Jose URL, but it gets there eventually.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000622...dparty/036.asp