PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
Web scraper stopped by popup-VBForums

Thread: Web scraper stopped by popup

Web scraper stopped by popup

Hello!

I recently wrote an outlook macro in VBA that creates a internet explorer object, navigates to a secure web page, logs in, and scrapes data from that page. It works beautifully.

The only problem.is that occasionally this page displays a notification within a pop up window. That causes an error in the scrape method because the active window is now the popup, where those elements do not exist.

Does any one have an idea on how I can either bypass/block the popup, or keep the main window active? I'm sure the solution is simple, and it's probably method im unaware of.

Thanks!!

PowerPoster

Re: Web scraper stopped by popup

is the popup a webpage or a dialog?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    is the popup a webpage or a dialog?
    It pops up in a new internet explorer window in front of the VBA actived window.

Here is my code. Please note that this is an Outlook Macro.

Code:
     Sub ImpoprtData()

Dim sched As String
    Dim ie As New InternetExplorer
    Dim oHTML_Element As IHTMLElement

ie.Visible = False

ie.navigate "my url goes here"

Do
    DoEvents
    Loop Until ie.readyState = READYSTATE_COMPLETE

Dim doc As HTMLDocument
    Set doc = ie.document

'If I am already logged in, it will return an error. So this part skips the login in that event' 

On Error GoTo Errorclear:

'set the input fields'
            doc.all.UserName.Value = "my user name"
            doc.all.Password.Value = "my password"

'this part inputs the fields and clicks the submit button for me'

For Each oHTML_Element In doc.getElementsByTagName("input")
            If oHTML_Element.Type = "submit" Then
            oHTML_Element.Click
            End If
            Next

Errorclear:

'the pop up appears now, as soon as I am logged in' 

'this is the scrape function to pull the web elements. I usually encounter the error here, since it appears that VBA is trying to pull data from the pop up instead' 

sched = Trim(doc.getElementsByTagName("td")(37).innerText)

'after this, there is a lot more code that uses the web data to create outlook calendar items. But that part works perfectly so I left it out.'
    Please help!! Circumventing this pop up is driving me crazy... I may become an alcoholic before I'm done.

PowerPoster

you can not rely on web sites keeping the same design for their pages for any length of time, they are continuously updating and changing the way they work, you can expect to have to update your code reasonably often

it would be possible to automate the new IE window, as preventing it from appearing may just stop the page from loading at all

you can try like
    vb Code:
    1. set sh = createobject("shell.application")
    2. set w = sh.windows(sh.windows.count)
    3. ' you may need to wait here while the page completes
    4. schd = Trim(w.document.getElementsByTagName("td")(37).innerText)
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete