dcsimg

Thread: VB6 Source code file types include??

VB6 Source code file types include??

Hi guys, I'm trying to backup my project in a repository on the server and it's suggested that I only keep the source code files for my project and only backup these source files up to the server location.
    Problem is I'm not sure what files are to keep. I've very limited knowledge of VB6 and this topic appears pretty vague to me.

I currently have .frm .frx .bas .ocx .vbp which I know for sure to keep as source files. But i also have some .oca .scc .cfg .pdm .vbw files and the 'package' folder, which I'm not sure whether to keep or not.
    (The 'package' folder contains .Cab file, SETUP.LST and setup.exe that come from the Package& deployment wizard. )

The point is I need to be able to recreate the files that I do not backup, from the source code files. please enlighten me.
    Last edited by SandiegoSSD; May 29th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 Source code file types include??

.oca .scc .cfg .pdm .vbw files and the SETUP.LST these files are for setup ... if u want to keyp as setup installer then u have to i guess

PowerPoster

As far as source files go you pretty much have it covered, the one you are missing is the .grp file [project group file] if it exists. Most of the time you will not have one of these since it is only used when you group projects together most often when you are creating a user control or activex dll but if one is present make sure you save it.

If you want to be able to rebuild the install without running the wizard again then you also need to keep the .ddf and .bat files that are in the support sub folder of the package folder.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If you want to be able to rebuild the install without running the wizard again then you also need to keep the .ddf and .bat files that are in the support sub folder of the package folder.
    so I'll keep the files under the 'Support'. What about the .cab file? and setup.exe and SETUP.LST that are also under the 'Package' folder?
    I know .cab is a compressed version of support so it's probably not necessary

PowerPoster

All the files you need are in the support folder, the ones in the package folder are the ones created when the bat file is ran.

There is an issue with backing up the entire folder though as if you have many projects you will get a lot of duplication. the VB runtime will exist in all projects, the MDAC and some OCX files may be in quite few as well.

To save space I have changed all of my ddf files to point to one central location for files which would be duplicated across various projects which has resulted in a much smaller backup while still being able to rebuild the install as needed.