Thread: [RESOLVED] BAS Files

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] BAS Files

Dear Reader,

I'm setting up an Automation and I'm having some trouble inserting the file into the new Module I set up. When I download the BAS file from the Microsoft website I'm getting an error message reading,
    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information...
    So, obviously there is some compatibility issues there and I'm wondering if this download is even possible?

Do I need to find one compatible for x64? If so, where can I find it?

I've searched their website high and low for it and can't find one.

Is there a workaround to this?

On a related note, the BAS file I'm trying to download contains the Definitions of Constants used inside the code I'm writing. I've had to use Late-Bound instead of Early-Bound because the User opening up the Excel file might possibly have Excel Version Compatibility issues. If anyone has a BAS file they know of that works on x64 please let me know!

Would it be smarter to just Define the Constants myself? I know it's harder, time-consuming, and prone to errors but that might be my last option.

Let me know what I should do!

Thank you for your time.

Frenzied Member

Re: BAS Files

I assume that you are using VB6 ?
    Are you sure you are downloading a VB6 file from MS ?
    (I thought they had purged all VB6 data from their planet ?)
    If it is a VB6 file then it is 32 bit, as VB6 is 32 bit.
    Why not post the link so one of us can inspect it, or download it.

Frenzied Member

Whilst waiting for you to post us the MS link, you could look at this tutorial -
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=391665

PowerPoster

Makes no sense to get that kind of message of a .bas file after all it is just plain text.

Addicted Member

I apologize for being unclear let me explain this further. Yes, I am using Visual Basic 6. The tutorial I went to provided this link to download a BAS file so I wouldn't have to individually Define the Constants I'm using in the code.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/112671

There is the link provided. I was unclear about the download however. It's an .EXE file and when I try to do the .EXE it opens up the Error Message I was talking about earlier. I tried running the .EXE in Compatibility mode and as Administrator and still received the same error message. I hoped to get a download that functions with 64-bit but given your provided information Bobbles I don't think it's possible.

Frenzied Member

MS do not know how to keep things simple.
    I have extracted them and put them in the attached zip
    Attached Files Attached Files

Addicted Member

Thank you man. This really does help.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by johndmingione View Post
    Thank you man. This really does help.
    Glad I could help.

In that tutorial I mentioned, there was also a link to constants, which I believe is the same link.
    In that post (Post 13) it goes a wee bit further and talks about later 2003 constants, and provides a link.

Addicted Member

Yeah the link you sent me to I've been going through this entire day. I wrote the entire code and got a message saying Ambiguous Name Detected and it's coming from the Constants from the download link you sent me. Well, the download link I sent YOU, and the Files you graciously converted, thanks again

Anyways, that's the error message I'm getting, but it doesn't seem to be ALL wrong, the Constants I mean. So maybe I should try deleting the individual Constants that the error message pops up on?

I don't know

Frenzied Member

Just comment most of them

Frenzied Member

I'm about to go to bed.
    Any last questions ?

PowerPoster

Make sure that you are not still referencing the Excel lib before you bother commenting them out because if that reference is still active it could be the source of the message and once it is removed you may have to go back and undo the comments.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    MS do not know how to keep things simple.
    Um, no.

What we have here is a 16-bit self-extracting archive. People who foolishly jumped on the 64-bit Windows bandwagon are thus screwed pretty much as expected.

They can extract on another 32-bit system or by running a 32-bit VM. In this case the self-extracting archive is a DOS program so you don't even need Windows installed in the VM, MS-DOS is good enough.

Addicted Member

Thank you for all the comments, I'm still not sure why the Constants wouldn't work. But regardless I just defined them as I got more educated because I realized there weren't that many to define. Thanks a bunch.