Thread: Media Library Beta

Hyperactive Member DavesChillaxin's Avatar

Media Library Beta

Disregard this post, as I have made updates since. Check post #3 for the updated version, plus description.

Here is my first release of my Media Library.

Do take note that this is a beta, so there are known issues. There are even probably ones I'm unaware of too. So for anyone giving this a swing, let me know of anything you encounter. I'll be sure to fix it promptly. Beta to me means, this was my "get it to work" phase.

So having said, this will most likely prompt you an error right away. This is normal (for now). But you must setup the database first. In the project folder there are two, one a mdb(Microsoft Access Database format 2002-2003) file, and the other a sdf(SQL Server CE database) file. This can handle both, you must first define which one.

So when you first start the application and get past all the initial errors click settings in the bottom right hand corner. From there select either Local, or Server. And input the correct connection string. In the project you can see an example of both (in the main.vb file).

As instructed when you save, you must restart the application for effects to take place. Then you should be good to go. But this time you will get another error, this is fine and is expected as well. Just ignore it and click the new button at the bottom to begin adding movies, otherwise select series and click new to begin adding new series.

The input fields for source, front cover and back cover are all drag and drop enabled so you don't have to browse for everything. Just drag the file over to get the path, and same goes for both covers.

The functionality for this is very limited, as you can see (there is no delete yet). But these are my next steps. My main goal now was to get the GUI up-to-par, as well as the support for both server and local databases. There's little validations so beware what you don't fill out. Again let me know if any errors pop up. But other than that most required fields are covered, such as source paths and what not. In those cases if a file doesn't exist nothing will happen or for the covers a default image is used.

Other then that you're good to go! Let me know what you think!

NOTE the button controls take a theme file, so if they appear "blank" then the original path is broken and you must put the proper directory. The property is call ThemeSource and the theme files are located in the Resource directory with all the project folders. Movie Library\Resources\themes. Either way the button will still function, just wont look right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DavesChillaxin; May 26th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Please rate if my post was helpful!
    Per favore e grazie!

Code Bank:
    Advanced Algebra Class *Update | True Gradient Label Control *Dev | A Smarter TextBox *Update | Register Global HotKey *Update
    Media Library Beta *Dev | Mouse Tracker (Available in VB.net and C#.net) *New | On-Screen Numpad (VB.net) *New

Re: Media Library Beta

Alright, so I'm at work and have noticed a few issues I'll update today. First and far most the button themes are wonky. This is just because the file path for each button theme was set during design time and compiled. Means, there's no way to change the directory. So they will NEVER work on another computer but my own. On a good note they still work so I was able to get the application to work successfully after sorting through the first barrage of exceptions. The unhandled exception just click continue to proceed with setting up the databases. Other than that things look great. Series doesn't have the drag and drop also, but that will be fixed tonight as well.. must have just gotten by me.
    Per favore e grazie!

Code Bank:
    Advanced Algebra Class *Update | True Gradient Label Control *Dev | A Smarter TextBox *Update | Register Global HotKey *Update
    Media Library Beta *Dev | Mouse Tracker (Available in VB.net and C#.net) *New | On-Screen Numpad (VB.net) *New

Just as I promised, a second release with many major bugs fixed. Enjoy!

Updates Made:
    • Button themes fixed. They now can be set in the settings. If the file isn't there than a default values are used.
    • If there are no items in the viewing dataset then the display will show instead of throwing an error.
    • Settings display first if no option is set for the database scope.
    • Settings restart the application when saving to allow changes to take effect.
    • Main screen now has a minimum size.
    • Clicking no longer allowed when there are no items being displayed.

Note: The settings sometimes doesn't save before it restarts for some reason.. not sure why but I'm working on that before I move on to anything else. If anyone can explain this please help. It's extremely frustrating because it works sometimes, then sometimes it doesn't. Also it appears to be random so I have no theoretic thoughts as to why at this point..

To-Do List:
    • More validations of all fields. This includes appropriate file types via the extensions. - Next release.
    • Drag and drop support for all input fields that are suited for such a feature. - Next release.
    • Drag and drop support for the main display to easily add new media content.
    • Series and Seasons will be two different entities. Series will be the name of the entire series while a season is just a single sub entity of a series. The series display will show series, break down to season, then episodes. - Next release.
    • Replace connection string with a file path, the connection string itself will be creating behind scenes.
    • Connection string test. - Next release.
    • Main screen refreshes when a new movie, series, or season is added.
    • Functioning sort and searching features-not sure of exactly how I want these to work just yet.
    • GUI changes and updates. - Next release.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DavesChillaxin; Jun 1st, 2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Noting whats done, and will be offered in the next release.
    Per favore e grazie!

Code Bank:

Frenzied Member

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I didn't see any explanation of what exactly this applications intended purpose is. "Media Library" is rather vague. What will it be able to do when it is finished?

Quote Originally Posted by nbrege View Post
    Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I didn't see any explanation of what exactly this applications intended purpose is. "Media Library" is rather vague. What will it be able to do when it is finished?
    I picture says a thousand words. Simple put, it's way of importing media files(Movies and Television Shows for now..) into an application for viewing and selecting something to watch. Along side that you can store information about the media, like cover photos, a description and a rating, for now..and I can't stress that enough. This is just the beginning and I have a head full of ideas coming soon. Once I've implemented enough new functionality, I release or "post" a new revision.

It doesn't have an official name either, so for now Media Library seemed as straight forward as I could get. By definition a library is a collection of any material arranged for ease of use.. In this case the collection is general media.. Media Library. I'm terrible at coming up with names so it probably wont be getting one anytime soon.
    Last edited by DavesChillaxin; May 29th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Per favore e grazie!

Code Bank: