Thread: Which type of database to use?

Hybrid View

Lively Member

Which type of database to use?

Hi,
    I am a sixth form student and I'm attempting to make a quiz game.

It needs to have a database to hold the questions, answers, value of the question and the difficulty.

Every computer I have used to connect my program to the .accdb database, I have had to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=13255) before my program would connect to the database.

I do not have microsoft office installed on my computer, could this be the reason? Or could it be that I should use a different type of database?
    I am using VB and SQL

I plan on other people using the quiz so I don't want them to have to install MADE before they can use it.

Hyperactive Member jasonwucinski's Avatar

Re: Which type of database to use?

Hello,
    You have a few choices to pick from. Each with pro's and con's.

You can use a database (my preference) or you can use a flat file (like XML file or excel, or a comma delimited file). If you dont expect more than one person at a time will be reading/writing to the file at a time and you wont be doing complicated searches etc on the data, this should be fine. If you expect to only read questions, answers, and difficulty, XML might actually be the way to go.

If you plan to do something more complicated using a database is the right direction. You must distribute the database with your application and be sure that the user has the required drivers. For instance, if you chose to use Access, your users will need to have Microsoft access installed on their computer. FYI, i see you said there was a problem with your .accdb file. This is an Access 2007 version. If you had it working on on computer but fails on another, its probably due to the fact that one computer has 2007 and the other has 2003. You need to check compatibility.

Of course, you are not limited to Access. You may want to check out SQL lite or SQL CE. These are for small applications that can be easily distributed to users in an install.

Using a relational database systems like Oracle, MS SQL, and MySQL are for larger applications that would be connecting to a database in a centralize location (ie the internet or local server) and probably are not what you are looking for.

Anyway, lots of choices pointed out here. You may want to do some research on these possible choices on your own. if you have any questions, post back
    if i was able to help, rate my post!

Lively Member

Hi,
    Thank you for you response.

I am actually using the .accdb database that I have with out Microsoft Access being installed on any of the computers. That's why I had to use the MADE driver.

I would like to use a database preferably, so I am looking at either continuing to use my Access database, or SQL Lite.

When I install the quiz, I could install the MADE driver with it, correct?

If I were to use SQL Lite, would SQL Lite need to also be installed on the end users computer?

(In the long run I would like to put it on the Windows 8 App Store)

Thank you for your time.

If this DB is only ever talked to by a single user do consider MS SQL CE.

It's got no install or setup - it's part of the .EXE.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member jasonwucinski's Avatar

if you plan on using this in devices, avoid access. use SQL CE as you can distribute with the build
    if i was able to help, rate my post!