Thread: [RESOLVED] New CSS?

Resolved [RESOLVED] New CSS?

Did a new CSS for VBF get loaded? I noticed all of the links are now this dark grey on grey, making it harder for me to read them. There's not enough contrast. What was wrong with the old colors? The blue on grey was just fine.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: New CSS?

This is bad !!!

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

And I think the font type changed too, which makes it even worse.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The color choice for text seems to be not DARK ENOUGH.

Not enough CONTRAST with the background color.

I remember reading a book on site design and how you need to be sensitive to people with various disabilities - such as sight problems. The text color seems to fly in the face of that idea...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Really - I gotta say this is not a good change.

I'm viewing the site on a 26 inch ViewSonic monitor sitting above my laptop screen - just 2 feet from my face - and I'm having a hard time reading this...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

The new color scheme definitely sucks. Light gray text on a lighter gray background ... W T F.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Hopefully a mod will jump in & explain what's up...

I wonder what it looks like on a mobile device out in the sunlight...

I don't have one or I would check it out myself

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Thought my eye sight was going, thank goodness it is not as I am seeing the same as others posting here.

I think, the problem is with this piece of code, which was intended for only the top bar(developer.com black bar at the very top of the site):
    Code:
    <!--
    body { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
    .brandLogo a img { border: none;}
    .globalHeader { font: 100%/1.4 Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; height: 25px; background-color: #111; background-image: url(/icom_includes/toolbars/globaltoolbar/img/header-bg.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-x;	background-position: center top;}
    .globalHeader .brandLogo { padding: 4px 0 0 .5em; float: left; }
    .globalHeader .brandLogo p { color: #666; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; padding: 0; margin: 0;}
    .globalHeader .login-register { text-align: right; padding: 4px .5em 0 .5em; /*float: right;*/}
    .globalHeader .login-register img{ cursor:pointer;}
    .globalHeader .logout { text-align: right;  }
    .globalHeader .greeting span{ color: #797979; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0; margin: 0;}
    .globalHeader .logout .greeting,a{ color: #797979; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; padding: 0; font-size: 13px; margin: 0;}
    .logout-link img{ cursor:pointer;margin-top:3px; margin-right:5px;}
    .clearfloat { clear:both; height:0;	font-size: 1px;	line-height: 0px;}
    -->
    I think that comma needs to be replaced with a space. Otherwise, all those anchor tags are getting that style.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Good lord, yall had me flinging accusations over here. Thought someone messed with my PC.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    I think, the problem is with this piece of code, which was intended for only the top bar(developer.com black bar at the very top of the site):
    Code:
    <!--
    body { margin: 0; padding: 0;}
    .brandLogo a img { border: none;}
    .globalHeader { font: 100%/1.4 Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; height: 25px; background-color: #111; background-image: url(/icom_includes/toolbars/globaltoolbar/img/header-bg.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-x;	background-position: center top;}
    .globalHeader .brandLogo { padding: 4px 0 0 .5em; float: left; }
    .globalHeader .brandLogo p { color: #666; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; padding: 0; margin: 0;}
    .globalHeader .login-register { text-align: right; padding: 4px .5em 0 .5em; /*float: right;*/}
    .globalHeader .login-register img{ cursor:pointer;}
    .globalHeader .logout { text-align: right;  }
    .globalHeader .greeting span{ color: #797979; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; padding: 0; margin: 0;}
    .globalHeader .logout .greeting,a{ color: #797979; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; padding: 0; font-size: 13px; margin: 0;}
    .logout-link img{ cursor:pointer;margin-top:3px; margin-right:5px;}
    .clearfloat { clear:both; height:0;	font-size: 1px;	line-height: 0px;}
    -->
    I think that comma needs to be replaced with a space. Otherwise, all those anchor tags are getting that style.

You ought to be able to EDIT that in FIREBUG and see for yourself - do you have FB?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    You ought to be able to EDIT that in FIREBUG and see for yourself - do you have FB?
    Google Chrome's Inspect Element --> Edit as HTML option

I go to lunch and come back to chaos!

I"m not sure why the color changed. It doesn't look as horrible to me as you guys are making it out to be. (or else I'm not seeing the same thing...)

Regardless, I've asked that someone look into this. (Nothing should have changed today)

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I go to lunch and come back to chaos!

I"m not sure why the color changed. It doesn't look as horrible to me as you guys are making it out to be. (or else I'm not seeing the same thing...)

Regardless, I've asked that someone look into this. (Nothing should have changed today)

Brad!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/vbfshaded.jpg/

If you still can't see it, then it's time for you to get your eyeballs repaired.

no comment, except
    I'ts just baddddddddd and uglyyyyyy
    1. If this post helped you, please Rate it = That's You, saying Thanks, to Me ...Left side of this post: [Rate this post]
    2. Mark this Thread Resolved if your question has been answered That's You, saying Thanks, to Group ...Menu on top of your original Post: [Thread Tools]>[Mark Thread Resolved]
    Check my site: www.er-ef.net • Check my snippets: Get installed .NET versions • Regex extracting • Join hierarchically nested Datatables in one flattened Datatable

Hyperactive Member

I can't tell which threads I've snooped on now, they're all grey!

I'm enjoying the GRAY vs GREY usage in this thread - although TG started it off with GREY (the common non-American English spelling of the word) but we do have some GRAY posts as well (the American English spelling of the word)...

Tg - do you always use GREY??

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that I put "grey" because I read it that way. I usually use "gray".

Hey look, they fixed it.

I deal with a worldwide audience so I end up using both..... grey is a gray term to me.....

Having said that, things are looking a little more blue to me now.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Having said that, things are looking a little more blue to me now.
    Wow - what quick results.

Now you know who the movers and shakers are on the forum

Wish we could get Washington to fix the economy this quick

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Wow - what quick results.

Now you know who the movers and shakers are on the forum

Wish we could get Washington to fix the economy this quick

Elect Heidi for President. She's the techie with the answers!

Brad!

Hyperactive Member

Re: [RESOLVED] New CSS?

On the bright side of the php vbF hasn't descended into the chaos caused by vb4 LOL
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDexter View Post
    On the bright side of the php vbF hasn't descended into the chaos caused by vb4 LOL
    vBulletin 4.x is coming soon.....

The above CSS issue was caused be someone making a minor change in a global include that impacted the style sheet. It was not intended and is now fixed. As an FYI, we'll generally comment if we are making more than minor style or other changes.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Good thing. Look at the havoc that little change caused in such a short amount of time. What's really amusing is that people weren't so much upset by the change as they were blaming everybody around them.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing