Thread: Need a small console app by name only

PowerPoster

Need a small console app by name only

I am looking for a small console application, 50K or less (the smaller the better) that is similar to cmd.exe (I need one that prompts for keyboard input). I am just asking for the name of such an application.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Re: Need a small console app by name only

If you want something similar to CMD.EXE why not just use CMD.EXE as it is already on all windows [NT] systems.

Assuming of course you are talking about running on a windows box NT or later. Older versions would use Command.Com instead.

No need to add another program of any size if the intention is to do what the OS can already do with what is provided.

There are also many other command line programs and utilities which can take input in one form or another but since you have only given us CMD as an example the answer seems to be that you should use it.

PowerPoster

CMD.EXE is about 380K on my computer. I need something more in the 20K to 40K and the smaller the better. I just need a name of an app, that is all I need of an app that takes keyboard input that is small. I do not need the app itself, just the name. I'm sorry but I do not know how to make my question any simpler.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Yet CMD.EXE is "Already There" any other program will add to the space required. So why it there an issue about the size of a program that is and needs to be there already?

Yes there are lots of command line programs, You have not even so much as hinted as to what you want the program to do other than compare it to CMD.EXE and as stated before since CMD.EXE is already there then it makes no sense to look for something else, especially if you are wanting to save space.

Also worth noting is that when you run a command line program you are using CMD.EXE to execute your other program.