Thread: Label Printer

Label Printer

Hi,

I want to have my program print to a specific label printer. Im not really sure where to start.

The basics of the program is that I will type a name and some other values and these are printed along with preset text on a single label.

The printer that im using is a Brother QL-550. These are specific label printers, which can take a variety of different label sizes.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated

James

Re: Label Printer

It would help immensely if we also knew your background, with reference to software development or programming.

Do you intend to use more than one label printer?

At the very basic, break down your application into two parts: One part manages the data entry and processing, the other part manages the printing. This other part could be substituted by another one to suit different printers, while the first part remains the same.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

PowerPoster

What are you having trouble with? Getting the user input, creating the label, printing the label...
    If you don't know how to write such a program, there is a lot of label printing software already written, some free some for sale.

Hi,

I would describe myself as a beginner programmer. I have built a number of applications that solve problems for myself or where I work.

Programming the user interface is not going to be a problem for me, and I suppose that what I am asking is if there is anything specific that one has to do to print to a label printer such as the brother QL-550.

I appreciated that there are free solutions there, but I want to be able to make one myself and integrate this in the a larger program later on.

James

PowerPoster

If you have the drivers installed correctly, there shouldn't be a problem. I would just first hard wire some information and send it to the printer and see what happens. Should only take a few minutes.

Really, the first thing you should do is read the documentation on the printer and check for a SDK. http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...os=96&type2=-1

Hi,

I'm not sure if Brother has an SDK kit or not, but I know Dymo has. If you just happen to have a QL550 and are writing the program for your own use then I'd contact Brother and see if they have an SDK.

If you're looking to write an application for resale I'd seriously consider switching to a Dymo Labelwriter instead. The QL's may be cheaper but Dymo has a massive installed base and share of the market, compared to Brother.

And more importantly, Dymo have an SDK. I wrote a fairly simple in app in VS2005/VB a month or so back and integrating the label printing was pretty simple.

They provide lots of sample code, which I basically just cut and pasted into my app and changed as required.

I should mention that I used to be a programmer a long time ago, but this was my first VB app and first windows app, so you don't need to be an expert by any means.

Anyhoo, if you decide to go the Dymo route, you can pick up a cheaper labelwriter here:

http://www.dymo-label-printers.co.uk...r-printer.html

And download the SDK, examples and documentation here:

http://www.dymo-label-printers.co.uk/dymo-sdk.html

Actually, I've just been searching around and Brother do have and SDK here (though it appears to be 32-bit only):

http://www.brother.com/product/dev/l...load/index.htm

So now you have a choice!