Thread: Turn off KeyTips in Office 07

Turn off KeyTips in Office 07

Not a programming question, more of a functionality question. Does anybody know if and how one can turn off KeyTips in Office 2007?

KeyTips are the letters that pop up above menu items when you push Alt. The problem I am having is that it seems that these take a finite time to appear, and if you push a keyboard shortcut sequence too fast, Excel locks up with a message saying "Please continue entering the shortcut or push Escape to cancel".
    in my business, a lot of our users are very used to controlling Excel with the keyboard and are extremely quick... this will be a bit of a disaster when we move to Office 07.

To demonstrate, just try copying a range in Excel 07 and then push Alt-E-S to bring up the Paste Special dialog. If you do it slowly, like 0.5 secs, it is fine. if you are quick, say a tenth of a second, you get the popup message.

Hence I'm looking to turn off the KeyTips.
    I use VB 6, VB.Net 2003 and Office 2010

Code:
    Excel Graphing | Excel Timer | Excel Tips and Tricks | Add controls in Office | Data tables in Excel | Gaussian random number distribution (VB6/VBA,VB.Net) | Coordinates, Vectors and 3D volumes

Re: Turn off KeyTips in Office 07

I can't reproduce that problem no matter how fast I hit ALT-E-S. I am certain your coworkers can adapt. I've never heard of being able to switch that off.

Really? Put your left thumb on Alt, your left middle-finger on E and your ring finger on S. Then just roll them from thumb to ring as quickly as you can. Obviously you need to have something on the clipboard.

Actually, I notice that you have to have taken your thumb off Alt by the time you come to push S. This you will do if you are preparing to hit the next key. If you hold Alt throughout, this does not happen.
    I use VB 6, VB.Net 2003 and Office 2010

Code:
    Excel Graphing | Excel Timer | Excel Tips and Tricks | Add controls in Office | Data tables in Excel | Gaussian random number distribution (VB6/VBA,VB.Net) | Coordinates, Vectors and 3D volumes

Ok, I tried it and got what you were talking about. It's just bad technique! If I try at a fast speed with good form, I get the dialogue. If I try to go so fast that it's just a big key mash then it doesn't go through. I have to do it so fast it's almost a spaz movement and I'm certain I'm just hitting the keys wrong.

How about just teaching them to remap their shortcut? Bring up options, Customize Ribbon, Keyboard Shortcuts, All Commands on the left, Paste* commands on the right.

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Unfortunately there is no method that I know of which can turn them off. I also looked for a registry hack but couldn't fine any.

Put your left thumb on Alt, your left middle-finger on E and your ring finger on S.
    In this scenario, if you don't get the pop up, you can still press the "S" key again to get the dialog box. So actually (Alt-E-S-"S [if no popup]")

Or you can educate them to use the sequence in the below manner (which I am sure you know)
    Left thumb on Alt
    Left Index/middle finger on E
    Release left Index/middle finger and use that to press S

Actually it all depends on a particular user's style of typing. Under normal circumstances the user will use the sequence as you mentioned and I understand that it can be frustrating at times like this and hence something like Alt-E-S-S might help.

Sid
    Last edited by Siddharth Rout; Apr 29th, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero