Thread: Importing Tables from one database to another.

Post Importing Tables from one database to another.

Hi there,

I am trying to write some code that will replicate the
    Code:
     File > Get External Data > Import
    action in MS Access using VB6.

Background
    I have developed in Visual Basic 6 a parser that will extract data from a very large source file. This data gets placed in separate tables within the project database.

However, depending on the source of the file, the tables used can vary in any combination from 30 up to 300+. I have created the structure for each possible table and have them ready for use.

My idea is to have a starting database containing the 25 common tables, including one which lists the tables the program requires for the particular source file it is dealing with. Then have the program automatically import the required tables from a second database containing the complete collection of defined tables into the base (Project) Database.

This will mean that the project database being used on a day-to-day basis will only contain relevant tables to that source file and not always 300+ tables, most of which would not be relevant.

Development Environment
    Programming Language: VB6
    Database Handler: ADO
    Database Type: MS Access

I have looked about on the web, but have only come across references on how to do this using VBA in Access (DoCmd.TransferDatabase), nothing referring to VB code solution

Thank you for your time and support,
    Vulcon
    Last edited by Vulcon; May 4th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.