Thread: nginx + ASP.NET = Possible?

Lively Member

nginx + ASP.NET = Possible?

I'm gonna start writing an ASP.NET application soon, but I am looking for a smooth way to use it first. It would be great If I could just supply nginx with it (private use) instead of needing to setup IIS or any other heavier server.

But I can't get ASP.NET to work with nginx. What I have read, I would need a FastCGI server running too. Could someone hand me a link to a guide on how to set up this, or could someone explain it for me

I have tried googling a lot but I mostly find other stuff, no pure ASP.NET guide.

Re: nginx + ASP.NET = Possible?

I think that at the lowest of levels, FastCGI is implemented by an application by simply having open a socket connection and serving requests from there. A request message would be sent with the details of the request and you would respond by creating a response sent over the same socket. In other words, you would only need to listen on a socket for incoming requests.

That's what I implemented back in 2000 anyway, so my experience may be a bit out of date

You would need to have a way to configure nginx of course. I don't know the details of setting this up, but you would need to inform nginx what requests will be handled by your FastCGI process and how it can connect to that process. Other factors quickly may come into play - for example, you may want to setup a range of different FastCGI processes to create a FastCGI pool sort of speak. Also, you may want to limit the lifetime of a FastCGI process - for example, serve 100 requests and then restart automatically (great way to avoid memory leaks but also a great way to hide memory leaks that should be fixed in the first place).
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFileDebugViewProcess ExplorerWiresharkKeePassUltraVNCPic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNukelog4NetCLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales SimulatorEFT CalculatorSystem Info ReporterVSS2SVNIBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

Lively Member

Re: nginx + ASP.NET = Possible?

Interesting how you solved it, I am however looking for a ready solution, want to skip coding that web server part
    It seems there is no way of running nginx on windows with asp.net, actually there seems not to be any good way of running ASP.NET apps on windows without IIS. Most other stuff is outdated

So I guess IIS is the way I will go, if I don't choose to use PHP anyway. Thanks for answering at least!