Thread: [RESOLVED] Help Authoring/Writer Tool

Hybrid View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help Authoring/Writer Tool

I am using Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express attempting to write an application managing client appointments.
    Still learning to use Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 Express, but before I venture too far into developing code and ultimately a working windows application I want to ensure I write relevant help for each of the controls on each window.
    I can't see where controls are linked to a relevant 'help' topic in a Help File. Searching on the key words "help authoring microsoft visual basic 2010 express" provides me with numerous ('000s) articles on local versus online help for the VB Express application, but nothing I can see tells me how to write help documention for my application.
    I would appreciate some advice on where to find relevant information from which I can learn how to write my own help information for my application which is linked to window controls usinf "F1" or similar.
    Regards
    Peter

Re: Help Authoring/Writer Tool

Hello Peter,
    Activating help in Visual Studio NET WinForms explains what is needed to get F1 work. Unfortunately you don't have VS standard, else the help generator would automatically create help topics and link them to your forms.
    Regards, Mark

Thumbs up Re: Help Authoring/Writer Tool

Mark,
    Thank you - the link is very helpful along with your comment about not having VB Standard. Still learning and 'playing' and as such I cannot justify purchasing the standard version.
    I am most grateful to Microsoft for providing the Express version to encourage people like me to get involved and hopeful have the experience and confidence to develop a full app with the full suite of software.
    Once again thanks for the information.
    Regards
    Peter