Thread: question about loops and arrays

question about loops and arrays

im just learning loops and arrays, and i have a couple of questions.
    i have a array set up, and i need the array to be global, but i can only get vb to accept it in a button, if anyone can help out thier. in addition, after the loop is completed, i am trying to pull a value from the array and display it but am getting an error.
    the code is as follows:
    Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Friend staten As String
        Friend statea As String
        Dim statec(1, 54)

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Me.Close()

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            statename.Clear()
            stateabbr.Clear()

End Sub

Public Sub findabbr_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles findabbr.Click
            staten = statename.Text

Dim i As Integer
            Dim statec(,) As String = {{"alabama", "al"}, {"alaska", "ak"}, {"american samoa", "as"},
                                       {"arizona", "az"}, {"arkansas", "ar"}, {"california", "ca"},
                                       {"colorado", "co"}, {"connecticutt", "ct"}, {"delaware", "de"},
                                       {"washington d.c.", "dc"}, {"florida", "fl"}, {"georgia", "ga"},
                                       {"guam", "gu"}, {"hawaii", "hi"}, {"idaho", "id"}, {"illinois", "il"},
                                       {"indiana", "in"}, {"iowa", "ia"}, {"kansas", "ks"}, {"kentucky", "ky"},
                                       {"louisana", "la"}, {"maine", "me"}, {"maryland", "md"}, {"massachussets", "ma"},
                                       {"michigan", "mi"}, {"minnesota", "mn"}, {"missisippi", "ms"}, {"missouri", "mo"},
                                       {"montana", "mt"}, {"nebraska", "ne"}, {"nevada", "nv"}, {"new hampshire", "nh"},
                                       {"new jersey", "nj"}, {"new mexico", "nm"}, {"new york", "ny"}, {"north carolina", "nc"},
                                       {"north dakota", "nd"}, {"ohio", "oh"}, {"oklahoma", "ok"}, {"oregon", "or"}, {"pennsylvania", "pa"},
                                       {"puerto rico", "pr"}, {"rhode island", "ri"}, {"south carolina", "sc"}, {"south dakota", "sd"},
                                       {"tennesee", "tn"}, {"texas", "tx"}, {"trust territories", "tt"}, {"utah", "ut"}, {"vermont", "vt"},
                                       {"virginia", "va"}, {"virgin islands", "vi"}, {"washington", "wa"}, {"west virginia", "wv"},
                                       {"wisconsin", "wi"}, {"wyoming", "wy"}}

i = 0
            Do Until i = 50
            Loop
            If staten = statec(0, i) Then
                statea = statec(1, i)
            Else
                i = i + 1
                If i > 49 Then
                    MessageBox.Show("input error. please recheck")
                End If
            End If

stateabbr = statec

End Sub
    End Class
    the error code is
    Code:
    Error	1	Value of type '2-dimensional array of String' cannot be converted to 'System.Windows.Forms.TextBox'.	C:\Users\chris\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\state 8.4\state 8.4\Form1.vb	50	21	state 8.4

Re: question about loops and arrays

I suspect this is the problem:
    stateabbr = statec
    if StateAbbr is a combobox you should rewrite it like StateAbbr.datasource= statec
    why can't programmers keep and 31 Oct and 25 dec apart. Why Rating is Useful
    for every question you ask provide an answer on another thread.

Just in case it hasn't been solved, I've asked the moderators to move this thread to the appropriate subforum.

Thread moved from the 'CodeBank VB.Net' forum (which is for you to post working code examples, not questions) to the 'VB.Net' forum

thanks for letting us know formlesstree4

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

According to your error message I suspect that stateabbr is a textbox and you're trying to assign a two dimensional array to it:
    Code:
    stateabbr = statec
    I guess what you wanted to assign to it was the statea string, but a string can't be converted to a textbox either so you must use the Text property
    Code:
    stateabbr.Text = statea

And if that doesn't solve it, tell us which line is showing the error. After all, both Dnereb and JA took reasonable guesses at which line was causing the problem, and if those guesses were wrong, we really need to know which line is causing the problem.

As for the initial question, to make the array global, you can declare it as Public in a module, rather than Dim as a local variable in a method.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

ok that problem is fixed, thank you, but as a question, how can i take the array value assignment from the one button and make it global?

You'll have to explain what you are trying to do a bit more for me to understand it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing