Thread: Using Google drive / One drive to work with Visual studio

Using Google drive / One drive to work with Visual studio

to be safe i thought of storing my visual studio project files onto google drive OR just place the project file itself into the google drive folder and then work.

but in this approach i am facing difficulty as the file is being shared by the google service and permission is being with hold by the service, and thus even i am unable to compile the application.

i need advice how can i over come this situation and also full fill my need to keep the files on the one/google drive
    The averted nuclear war
    My notes:

PrOtect your PC. MSDN Functions .OOP LINUX forum
    .LINQ LINQ videous
    If some one helps you please rate them with out fail , forum doesn't expects any thing other than this

You don't want to know.

Re: Using Google drive / One drive to work with Visual studio

It's an uphill battle that will only sometimes work.

To sync the files, the sync program needs to be able to access them. To build the files, Visual Studio needs to be able to update them. That means if the timing is bad, the two programs might step on each others' toes. Also: bad things can happen if you have Visual Studio accessing the project on two different computers. Each will be replacing the others' build artifacts.

The best way to share a project across multiple machines is to use source control. TFS is technically source control but you probably don't have the thousands of dollars required to use TFS server personally. So the next-best solution is what practically everyone else uses: git. You can use a private github account to keep track of an awful lot of projects, and also be sure you're only sharing the files that should be shared between machines. It's not automatic, but it's version control.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Don't access the files directly on OD/GD directly, or you'll be saying OD (Oh Darn) GD (Gosh Danngit) a lot. Instead, just use the files locally, but then copy the source files - skip the bin & obj folders - to OD/GD when you're done. Or use a repo of somesort.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    It's an uphill battle that will only sometimes work.

To sync the files, the sync program needs to be able to access them. To build the files, Visual Studio needs to be able to update them. That means if the timing is bad, the two programs might step on each others' toes. Also: bad things can happen if you have Visual Studio accessing the project on two different computers. Each will be replacing the others' build artifacts.

The best way to share a project across multiple machines is to use source control. TFS is technically source control but you probably don't have the thousands of dollars required to use TFS server personally. So the next-best solution is what practically everyone else uses: git. You can use a private github account to keep track of an awful lot of projects, and also be sure you're only sharing the files that should be shared between machines. It's not automatic, but it's version control.
    We use TortoiseSVN. It is free and we having been using it in production for years.

https://tortoisesvn.net/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Visual Studio Online (https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/) is free for up to 5 users, supports both the TFS and GIT and a version control system as well as providing a full ALM (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ZZKI4fYaoslHez ) system as well.

As you are posting in the VB.Net section it is worth noting it integrates really well with recent versions of visual studio as well.

Thanks to every one for reply
    (https://www.visualstudio.com/team-services/) does this link worth storing + auto sync my project files actually how doe's it work
    i am not an IT professional that's y i added extra request.
    The averted nuclear war
    My notes:

.LINQ LINQ videous
    If some one helps you please rate them with out fail , forum doesn't expects any thing other than this

One of the things visual studio online gives you is a cloud hosted version control system, it won't sync changes automatically however - you are responsible for pushing your changes to it.

Another tool I have used for keeping things in sync is https://www.goodsync.com/ this can be setup to sync automatically or on demand and might be worth a look.

If you go with a solution for just syncing two (or more) computers I would still seriously look into some form of version control though - being able to safely make changes, revert mistakes, compare things and work in a more organised manner is a massive time saver once you get over the initial learning curve,

thanks Plaus
    The averted nuclear war
    My notes:

.LINQ LINQ videous