Thread: [RESOLVED] Visual Studio 2010 - need to have multiple screens under one window

Hyperactive Member simpleonline1234's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Visual Studio 2010 - need to have multiple screens under one window

Hey guys,

I'm programming an application that is going to have a main screen with a slew of menu items in a menu bar at the top of the main window.

What I want to do is have a main screen with the menu items at the top and then when I click on a new menu item I want to have the application open the window inside the same area and not an entirely new window.

I know that sounds rather confusing but I am currently trying this using a Tab Control but I get the tabs at the top.

Any other way to have multiple paned windows inside a single window?

The best way I can compare this would be when programming a website where the frames are nested inside the main page and only the viewing pane changes but the rest of the page remains the same.
    Are you down with OOP?

Re: Visual Studio 2010 - need to have multiple screens under one window

What you are describing is an MDI application. You have one parent window with a variety of child windows underneath it. You might do some searching on MDI. It has been around for well over a decade, yet it is not a design I have used very often (exactly once, actually).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member simpleonline1234's Avatar

Re: Visual Studio 2010 - need to have multiple screens under one window

Cool beans..thanks Shaggy Hiker.
    Are you down with OOP?