Thread: Tips and Tricks in SQL Server and BIDS

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Tips and Tricks in SQL Server and BIDS

Hi All

I've been asked to do a series of seminars for a clients BIDS developers. These developers could best be described as talented amateurs (they selected a few of the more technically adept folks from around the business and gave them some initial training on BIDS).

One of the first topics they've identified is a Tips and Tricks session on the tools they use. The tool set basically comprises SQL Management Studion and Visual Studio BIDS projects. I think I'll probably also make them aware of Profiler too.

The trouble is I'm actually struggling to come up with any tips and tricks. I've got a few but I've been using the tools for so long, I don't actually notice what I'm doing any more (which probably qualifies me for management). Here's a few I've come up with:-
    1. How to use the immediate window
    2. How to query datasets using the query designer
    3. How to debug sql using SSMS
    4. How to use Profiler to see the actual SQL that's being run

That's the sort of level I think I want to pitch at. Can anyone else think of tips and tricks that are worth me chucking in?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: Tips and Tricks in SQL Server and BIDS

Watch the use of connecting to Excel spreadsheets if using 64 bit BIDS env. Remember to set to run in 32 bit for the desinger as there is no 64 bit driver.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Tips and Tricks in SQL Server and BIDS

Hi Gary

I'm after a more general level than that but all info's useful and I didn't know that so thanks.

Declan
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd