Thread: GUI design with ASP.NET

GUI design with ASP.NET

Is there any resource out there , where one can learn how to properly design user interfaces with ASP.NET controls on Visual Studio ?
    I have tried on my own by adding <asp:Table/> to form and then trying to accomodate panels within <asp:TableCell/> controls but that isn't quite going the way I imagined it would.
    This may not be the right way to design UIs, but I don't know any better for now.
    Does anyone one know any resource with information on this ?

Thanks,

G.

King of sapila

Re: GUI design with ASP.NET

Google "css web design"
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Google "css web design"
    Thank you for your response.
    Your suggestion brings up resources for generic web development.
    What I need though, is something orientated towards web development using ASP.NET controls, i.e. how to organize ASP.NET controls within an aspx page so I can create powerful GUIs.

ahhh young grasshopper, one must learn to crawl before one can run a NYC Marathon...

There isn't any difference between "generic web development" and ASP.NET development... you're just dealing with additional tags from a new namespace, that is all. you build your page, using your blocks and divs and other containers just like you would anything else, then start applying CSS elements to move, shape and colorize your elements.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

techgnome - LOL...so true.

Have you also tried using traditional HTML code in your ASPX pages? I would use a regular html table versus the ASP:Table. I would also use <div> tags in my pages accompanied by CSS.

A little digging will get you where you need to be. Maybe research some templates using google?

Hope this helps.
    Tealmad
    http://greggorypayne.com

If you find my post helpful, please rate it. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    ahhh young grasshopper, one must learn to crawl before one can run a NYC Marathon...

There isn't any difference between "generic web development" and ASP.NET development... you're just dealing with additional tags from a new namespace, that is all. you build your page, using your blocks and divs and other containers just like you would anything else, then start applying CSS elements to move, shape and colorize your elements.

-tg
    Hi,

So you are saying one creates the web site as per usual and then inserts rich controls such as Gridviews, Listviews etc inside the generic HTML containers ?

Thanks,

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealmad View Post
    techgnome - LOL...so true.

Have you also tried using traditional HTML code in your ASPX pages? I would use a regular html table versus the ASP:Table. I would also use <div> tags in my pages accompanied by CSS.

A little digging will get you where you need to be. Maybe research some templates using google?

Hope this helps.
    Hi,

So what is the advantage of HTML tables over ASP Tables ?

Thanks,

G.

I personally abandoned asp.net ui's and started managing the DOM myself with jQuery - a much richer UI is possible.

Handling the browser DOM events locally with javascript is so much easier and logically clear.

Having ASP.Net bundle up the dom events and pass them back to the server as server events - what a nightmare. And translated into a WINFORMS EVENT MODEL just because they must have thought I could only think in terms of one model - but then not have the events fire in the same WINFORM order...

Now every dom event is passed to an asp.net web method that handles the backend logic. I have direct control over what gets passed back to the web method (no bloat) and direct control over what gets returned (no bloat).

All that partial postback stuff - gone.

What level of UI control are you looking for?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008