Thread: [RESOLVED] Runtime Error 3170: Couldn't find installable ISAM

Resolved [RESOLVED] Runtime Error 3170: Couldn't find installable ISAM

I am attempting to fix this error on behalf of a colleague, who has developed his own software in VB6.0 SP6. He uses a very old XP SP1 machine (I kid you not) for his development, but now needs to upgrade to a more modern machine.

I've installed VB6.0 SP6 (along with Crystal Reports v9 which he also uses) on two different machines, both XP SP3, both have the same error described in the topic title upon compiling and running the program.

Here is the code and where the error occurs:
    Code:
    App.TaskVisible = True
    caption = "Main Menu" + Currvers
    ' Create Field Desription database
    DB1.DatabaseName = App.Path + "\Reports\Reports.mdb"
    DB1.Refresh
    Do While DB1.Recordset.EOF = False
        DB1.Recordset.Delete
        DB1.Recordset.MoveNext
    'DB1.Refresh' is when the error occurs, according to debug.

One of the machines has had Access 2002 and 2003 on it, the other has never had Access on it.

Now, my own knowledge of VB in general is extremely limited to say the least, but I've tried every possible fix I can find through Googling and in four days I've gotten nowhere. I really need this issue fixed as it's holding up my other work, so I'm willing to try anything anyone can suggest.

Re: Runtime Error 3170: Couldn't find installable ISAM

If I remember correctly you need to change the database type. Have a look here for more details.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here, but I read the thread you linked to and I have no clue what I need to do in order to change the database type. Is there any way you could possibly talk me through it in very simple terms?

Are using a data control in your project?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

I've asked my colleague and he's not 100% sure, but he thinks it uses DAO.

If there is an object on the form with two arrows on either side of a textbox looking thing select it. After that, look at the properties window (go to View, Properties Window if is not visible) scroll down until you see a section called "Connect" make sure "Access" is in the box opposite (use the arrow on the box opposite the Connect box after clicking the text).

Edit:

See the picture here for the control I am referring to above.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 11th, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Adding more!

I can find no such object. I've tried clicking on the code relating to the database, but the 'Properties Window' is always greyed out.

Have you tried installing Access on the other computer then running the project? Do that then report back with what happens. I think the error might be occurring an Access database *.mdb requires Access to be installed on the system in-order to be used.

Ok, tried it with Access 2002 and no change.

Also just tried uninstalling XP SP3 and that made no difference either. Anyone got any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    If there is an object on the form with two arrows on either side of a textbox looking thing select it. After that, look at the properties window (go to View, Properties Window if is not visible) scroll down until you see a section called "Connect" make sure "Access" is in the box opposite (use the arrow on the box opposite the Connect box after clicking the text).

Edit:

See the picture here for the control I am referring to above.
    Just noticed your edit and went in and did this, now it appears to be working!! Thanks very much, you've made me very happy

Re: [RESOLVED] Runtime Error 3170: Couldn't find installable ISAM

Sorry to grab this old thread but I have the same problem.

I've used VB for many years and a Fuel Consumption app that shows all detail has always worked. My last fill up shows this error on .Refresh the same as the OP.

Couldn't find installable ISAM. (Error 3170)

The DLL for an installable ISAM file couldn't be found. This file is required for linking external tables (other than ODBC or Microsoft Jet database tables). The locations for all ISAM drivers are maintained in the Windows Registry. These entries are created automatically when you install your application. If you change the location of these drivers, you need to correct your application Setup program to reflect this change and make the correct entries in the Registry.

Possible causes:

· An entry in the Registry isn't valid. For example, this error occurs if you're using a Paradox external database, and the Paradox entry points to a nonexistent directory or driver. Exit the application, correct the Windows Registry, and try the operation again.
    · One of the entries in the Registry points to a network drive and that network isn't connected. Make sure the network is available, and then try the operation again.

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()

Me.Show
    With datFuelcon
        .DatabaseName = App.Path & "\Fuel Consumption.mdb"
        .RecordSource = "Consumption"
        .Refresh
        cmdUpdate.Enabled = False
        txtFields(1).SetFocus
        txtFields(0).Text = .Recordset.AbsolutePosition + 1
    End With

End Sub
    I'm using a data control which has always been set to Access 2000 and has always worked. I see no solution in the link supplied.
    Last edited by Keithuk; Dec 3rd, 2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Update
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.