Thread: VB6 Sqlserver connection issue

VB6 Sqlserver connection issue

i have been banging my head against this on and off for days. Time for help from people who know what they are doing!

i have a default installation of SQL Server Express 2008 running with VB6 Pro installed. I am running Windows XP.

I have managed to create 2 tables(Psswrd and GameTable) and can see these through the SQL server management studio.

So far so good!

however, when i run the code i am getting an "Invalid connection string attribute"! through the conConnection.open command.

Here is my connection string.

conConnection.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLNCLI10;Data Source=CHAD-H8H5UNYBQS\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=Psswrd;UserId=CHAD-H8H5UNYBQS\Chad;Password="

I am using Windows Authentication to log into the db for the SQL management studio. Do i need a password setup? If so, where do I go for this?

I suspect my issues are legion, but are fairly simple to solve. I am just having issues finding information so I came here to ask!!

I have a feeling the answer is pretty obvious and I am the numbskull!

Re: VB6 Sqlserver connection issue

Welcome to VBForums

Thread moved to the 'Database Development' forum (the 'VB6' forum is only meant for questions which don't fit in more specific forums)

With Windows authentication you do not put any login details into the connection string, that part will be dealt with automatically. For examples of how it should be, see the connection strings link in my signature.

is this the string you were refering too?

Trusted Connection
    Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=myServerAddress;Database=myDataBase;Trusted_Connection=yes;

Equivalent key-value pair: "Integrated Security=SSPI" equals "Trusted_Connection=yes"

okay, part of the issue was that the default db name is "master" and i was using a table name instead! how frustrating!

ty!

is this the string you were refering too?
    That looks better.
    okay, part of the issue was that the default db name is "master" and i was using a table name instead! how frustrating!
    That would be a problem!

Note that you generally shouldn't use the Master database, instead you should create new database(s) as apt (as a vague guide, one for each application).