Thread: Getting "Could not find installable ISAM files" while Connecting vb6 with access 2003

Getting "Could not find installable ISAM files" while Connecting vb6 with access 2003

Dear All,

I m trying to connect vb6 with Access 2003 database using DAO control.

I got "Unrecognised database file format" error. So I changed the CONNECT property of the DAO control from ACCESS to ACCESS 2000.

Now this error has gone, but When I tried to select Record Source property of the DAO control,

It said "Could not find installable ISAM files".

I m using Win XP, MDAC 2.8, DAO 3.6 in reference, installed sp3 for win xp, installed VS SP6.

Still i m getting this error.

Really is it possible to connect vb6 with access 2003 using DAO control?

Could you please help me to provide the solution?

Thanks in Advance

PowerPoster

Re: Getting "Could not find installable ISAM files" while Connecting vb6 with access

Really is it possible to connect vb6 with access 2003 using DAO control?
    much better to use ADO
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Re: Getting "Could not find installable ISAM files" while Connecting vb6 with access

Thanks for your reply...
    I know ADO will work even for 2007.
    But My application is very big one.
    It ll take much time as well as more cost to replace the DAO control with ADO control.
    So pls give me the solution for connecting vb6 with access 2003 using DAO control...
    Thanks in advance..

PowerPoster

afaik it is not optional, the latest version of access databases supported by DAO is 2000

if you want more information, search on updating visdata the sample database app with VS6, written in VB6, there is a step by step guide somewhere, with guidelines
    found it here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252438

sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but ...............
    Last edited by westconn1; Apr 9th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hi All,

I'm also getting the same error as jabbar did, but in my case I dont have any MS office installed. here are other restrictions/constraints i have

- client machine does not have admin access
    - vb6 exe application will be connecting to sharepoint 2007 list via access 2007

I understand that MS Access will be responsible connecting to sharepoint. I guess my question is, how will i get my VB6 app to connect to ms access without required DLLs installed and registered to all local machines (clients)? If there is a way, how? an example will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piratew0rks View Post
    I guess my question is, how will i get my VB6 app to connect to ms access without required DLLs installed and registered to all local machines (clients)?
    There is a key word here....it is "required"

"Without required" means it ain't gonna work unless the requirements are met.

I would suggest contacting the admins, presenting them with your issue, and asking them for help. We can't do anything for you except tell you it ain't gonna work without the required files.

already sent the admin an email presenting this issue. Thanks Hack...

PowerPoster

You never "connect to data via MS Access."

You connect using ADO or DAO connection libraries, which in turn use OLEDB Providers or ODBC Drivers. The normal Jet OLEDB Provider is installed as part of Windows and should be there for sure on Win2K or later.

Office 2007 might be bringing the ACE Provider into the picture. This is not part of Windows and you have to deploy it to a non-MS Access system. Part of the reason behind the ACE extension (it's an extended version of Jet) was for SharePoint support.

See sample connection strings at Connection strings for SharePoint.

You can use either Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable,

or the slightly older 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components

These would need to be deployed using a separate or "chained" install as far as I can tell. I don't know of an Installer merge module for these components.

Plz help me for my issue...
    Still I m sticking in that issue.......

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    afaik it is not optional, the latest version of access databases supported by DAO is 2000
    No, this isn't true. See References that you must set when you use Microsoft Office Access 2003.

Note that this article is not telling you to set all of those references to use a database created using Access 2003. It is just saying which versions are needed when you do use them. Look at the last part How to Set a Reference to DAO for Other Applications That Use Microsoft Access.

What they're basically saying is that in VB6 you can use DAO 3.5x or later, though 3.6 is preferable since it is the latest.

A Could not find installable ISAM files error almost always means your connection parameters are set incorrectly. We'd need to see the DSN or whatever you are trying to use to specify these.

Thanks for ur reply..
    There is no DNS or connection string for DAO control.
    So Con. String is not a pblm for this issue..

Pls help me for this issue.....

If you are still having the original issue try this, that is try changing the connection from the default to Access 2003. Perhaps you could post the connect part of your code so we can see what you are doing and what string you are using to connect to the database?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Thanks Nightwalker..
    I think u got the same issue already...

Steps to reprodue the error
    =====================
    1. Create a testDB in access 2007 but save it in 2003 format
    2. Create a table in that db
    3. Create a sample vb project in vb6
    4. In Project-> Reference -> refer DAO 3.6 dll
    5. Place a data control in the form from the tool box
    6. Change the connect property of data control to "Access 2000" from "Access"
    7. Select the testDB in the Database property of the Data contrl
    8. Select the Recordsource property of data control -- Now u ll get the error "Could not find installable ISAM files"

Another Way by Coding
    ==================
    vb Code:
    1. Data1.DatabaseName = "MyDb.mdb"
    2. Data1.RecordSource = "MyTbl"
    3. [COLOR="Red"]Data1.Refresh [/COLOR] --> I m getting the same ISAM error in this line

Pls help me to solve this issue..
    I m stukking on this issue from a long days

Did post #8 in that thread I posted help?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

In post #8, asked to use ADO control instead of DAO contrl.
    But my projt is a very big and it is very difficult to change the ADO control.
    I have analysed for ADO but the impact is very very high in my project.

So plz help me to solve this issue with DAO control itself.

I request u to do my above steps (#13) in ur system and check whether u got the same error or u can connect it to 2003 DB thru DAO control..

If u got successful connection, tell me settings.. I ll check my system settings..

Thanks in advance...

This uses the Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects library 6.0.

vb Code:
    1. Private Sub Form_Load()
    2.     'turn MousePointer to HourGlass to show that we are busy processing
    3.     Me.MousePointer = vbHourglass
    4.     'instantiate the connection object
    5.     Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    6.     'specify the connectionstring
    7.     cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    8.                           "Data Source=" & App.Path & "\db1.mdb"
    9.     'open the connection
    10.     cn.Open
    12.     'instantiate the recordset object
    13.     Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    14.     'open the recordset
    15.     With rs
    16.         .Open "Table1", cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockPessimistic, adCmdTable
    18.         'loop through the records until reaching the end or last record
    19.         Text1.Text = rs.Fields("Field1")
    20.     End With
    21. End Sub

Edit:

You might find the comments here interesting.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 19th, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Addming more!

Pls Any one try the following steps in your computer and tell me result..
    If it success, that is if u dint get this error, pls tell me the dll versions and settings of your computer.. I ll try it in my computer with your settings...

Steps to reprodue the error
    =====================
    1. Create a testDB in access 2007 but save it in 2003 format
    2. Create a table in that db
    3. Create a sample vb project in vb6
    4. In Project-> Reference -> refer DAO 3.6 dll
    5. Place a data control in the form from the tool box
    6. Change the connect property of data control to "Access 2000" from "Access"
    7. Select the testDB in the Database property of the Data contrl
    8. Select the Recordsource property of data control -- Now u ll get the error "Could not find installable ISAM files"

Another Way by Coding
    ==================
    vb Code:
    Code:
    Data1.DatabaseName = "MyDb.mdb"
    Data1.RecordSource = "MyTbl"
    Data1.Refresh --> I m getting the same ISAM error in this line
    Pls help me to solve this issue..
    I m struggling on this issue from a long days

Are you able to either post the project or reproduce the problem in a project you can upload? If so that might help us solve the problem as we can see what you have done.

Due to some security constraints, I can not upload any thing from my machine. But its very easy to reproduce the issue by following the above post steps..

pls follow the previous posts steps and tell me the result..

thanks in advance...

The best thing to do would be to rewrite the code! The post here explains why.

Edit:

Try adding "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)" to the project then use the control and see if it works. You will need to download Service Pack 6.0.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 30th, 2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Adding more!

PowerPoster

Yeah, with some fiddling I was able to reproduce the error. The question is, who even tries to use DAO anymore anyway? It was only left in VB6 to help make temporary porting of VB5 programs possible until they could be rewritten.

Contrary to that "FAQ" link, there isn't anything wrong with data binding. However a lot of QBasic plinkers who came to VB late in the game never bothered to learn to use it correctly. The prevalence of these pseudo-VB programmers has lead to an echo chamber effect to the point where stuff like that FAQ is endemic.

You really should move to ADO, either using data binding or writing a ton of hand-wiring logic. Your choice.

But DAO was really never meant to make the transition from ancient Access 97/Jet 3.x to the Access 2xxx/Jet 4.0 era. If you want to use it you'll really need to take a look at the MSDN Library article Intrinsic Data Control Is Usable with Access 2000 Databases, which of course you should already have read long ago.

The bottom line is you can't use the intrinsic Data Control's hardwired DAO 3.5x code with databases in Jet 4.0 format, so you can't just set those properties. This also may help explain why so many VB6 users (I can't call 'em programmers) are still making and using Access 97 MDBs at this late date.

See the attached demo.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I agree with dilettante (there's a familiar name ), you really should move to ADO. if you want to use the ADO data control, it isn't much different from the intrinsic one.