Thread: [RESOLVED] Entity Framework Code First Hierarchical Many To Many Relationship

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Entity Framework Code First Hierarchical Many To Many Relationship

I don't know if this should go into the database development, but here it is:

I have a model which essentially is a many to many relationship of itself. Sort of like below:

Code:
    class Item

int id;
    string name;
    IList<Item> ParentItems;

It's basically an item which could be linked to another item as either a parent or a child. So each item could have more than one parent items (shared item) or it could have more than one child items.

I tried creating a database out of this, but there's just a single Item table with an Item_ID property. Normally in a database, this type of a relationship would require two tables, one the Item table and the other a relationship table:

Item: ID, Name
    ItemRelation: ItemID, ParentItemID

How do I change the model to create the above setup? At present no matter what I can only do a one to one mapping.

Edit: Found the solution. Here's my model which creates a many to many hierarchical relationship on the same table:

Code:
    public class Item
    {
        public virtual int id { get; set; }
        public virtual string name { get; set; }
        public virtual IList<Item> ParentItems { get; set; }
        public virtual IList<Item> ChildItems { get; set; }
    }
    Last edited by honeybee; Apr 4th, 2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Found solution
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!