Thread: Arithmetic Progression

Arithmetic Progression

I was going through my chapter i have a question as Find sum of first 22 terms of an AP in which d =7 and 22nd term is 149

d = 7

a22 = 149

n=22 s22 = ?

an = a + (n - 1 ) d

149 = a + ( 22 - 1) 7

149 = a + 147

a = 2

From where we can say that an = 149 for reference my chapter book is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3AcMEc2t-A

Only Slightly Obsessive jemidiah's Avatar

Re: Arithmetic Progression

You don't know how we went from
    an = a + (n - 1 ) d
    to
    149 = a + ( 22 - 1) 7?

an is the nth term of the arithmetic progression, by definition. We're given that the 22nd term is 149, so a22 = 149--this is just an assumption we're given. In going from the first line to the second line we just substitute all of the information we know--that d=7, and that in the case n=22 we have an = a22 = 149. Is that clear? I have difficulty understanding your difficulty so I also have trouble explaining it away.
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
    Bertrand Russell

<- Remember to rate posts you find helpful.

Re: Arithmetic Progression

Thanks jemidiah for clarifying me the problem. I hope i can get one more clarification from you. I have a maths problem in my chapter Find HCF of two numbers 135 and 225 by Euclid's division algorithm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqtrMyhBPY . I was not well so i couldn't attend school when my master was teaching Euclid's division algorithm. So without knowing what is Euclid's division algorithm how could i solve HCF of two numbers 135 and 225 by Euclid's division algorithm.