Thread: I need to do some of the new project portable

Question I need to do some of the new project portable

Hi all! I have a question. I need to do some of the new project portable. As far as I know it's not a problem. But how can I do? An application or program, development library?
    Last edited by Jokeman; Mar 29th, 2012 at 04:51 AM.

Re: I need to do some of the new project portable

I need to make a portable application. I have no experience in such developments. Perhaps you could recommend a good manual or program?

VB Forums Online Freedom Mode: Operational

If portable = cross platform then you will need to look at cross platform programming solutions such as codeblocks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code::Blocks

Cross platform usually means C or its derivatives, although if you prefer basic then realbasic might work for you:
    "Realbasic (RB) is the object-oriented dialect of the BASIC programming language used in Real Studio, a programming environment, developed and commercially marketed by Real Software, Inc of Austin, Texas for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, 32-bit x86 Linux [1] and the web"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realbasic
    http://www.realsoftware.com/realstudio/
    All men have an inherent right to life, the right to self determination including freedom from forced or compulsory labour, a right to hold opinions and the freedom of expression, and the right to a fair trial and freedom from torture. Be aware that these rights are universal and inalienable (cannot be given, taken or otherwise transferred or removed) although you do risk losing the aforementioned rights should you fail to uphold them e.g Charles Taylor; United Nations sources: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/, http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Professional...ages/CCPR.aspx. Also Charles I was beheaded on the 30th of January of 1649 for trying to replace parliamentary democracy with an absolute monarchy, the same should happen to Dr Phil and Stephen Fry; source: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ute-Monarchism.

The plural of sun is stars you Catholic turkeys.

Hi! I have to go back to the issue of portable applications. As far as I understand, this is a development environment, programming language which is based on BASIC. As it will help me to create portable applications? Are there any libraries for this?

PowerPoster

If you mean "portable" as in "can be carried on removable media to another Windows PC and run without installing" then with some limitations you can do this with VB6.

The first hurdle is the core set of runtime libraries. You will have a very hard time finding even a Windows 95 system that doesn't have some version of them preinstalled. If IE 5.x was ever installed they should be in place. Anything starting with Win98SE installs them along with Windows. However until WinXP SP3 you can't be sure you have late versions at the SP6 level or better, so you'd want to test your program thoroughly against older versions of the runtimes.

This lets you run using just the intrinsic controls. Beginning with Windows Vista there are some additional preinstalled VB6 libraries ("runtime extended") you can use without trying to install them.

Beyond that, beginning in Windows XP there is support for registration-free COM, allowing many other COM OCXs and DLLs to be used without registration. Support for this was not mature until XP SP2 and wasn't even minimally reliable before XP SP1 though. This does not support ActiveX EXEs at all, which must be registered by nature. It also doesn't work with a lot of 3rd party controls that do some flaky things (a lot of the "VB Accelerator" web site controls are too flaky).

However you need an additional tool to create the necessary isolation manifests. Even though the purpose of reg-free COM was VB6 support, Microsoft never provided an update to specifically address it. You'll have to either struggle with some .Net-related tools from VS.Net or use one of the few 3rd party tools.

Jokeman, this means that you need a program or library for virtualization. Perhaps you can try VB. Or thinapp, boxedapp, xenapp...

Thanks, guys! I'm on the right track! Googled a bit and now everything is clear!
    The main thing - to know what to look for!

PowerPoster

If you have additional question related to this you should explain what you mean by portable as that could mean a few different things and currently everyone has been guessing at what you mean by it.

Hyperactive Member

If by portable you mean "without installation" then all VB6 are portable across Windows PCs, (unless you are using third party controls, add-ons).
    (I don't know yet about Win 8)

"Portable" - "without installation". horazio understood me correctly. Yes, something like that I'm looking for!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by horazio View Post
    If by portable you mean "without installation" then all VB6 are portable across Windows PCs, (unless you are using third party controls, add-ons).
    (I don't know yet about Win 8)
    This is the most intriguing!
    Will it work for windows 8?

I am also interested. I know that many people have a problem with that! My friend said he wanted to use the VB but got an error.

PowerPoster

Third party controls are not the issue. Perhaps there was a language barrier problem there.

Most versions of Windows except a new, clean install of Win95 or Win98 prior to Win98SE already have VB6 runtimes. But they do not have any of the external control libraries. This includes Windows 8.

Though by now you'd think every VB6 user in the world has been pointed to it but...

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8

That article contains the details of what is preinstalled and what you'd have to install yourself.

XCopy Deployment/Reg-Free COM is what you want for anything but really trivial portable programs. This allows you to run a portable VB6 program that uses the OCXs that come with VB6, 3rd party OCXs, etc. The main limitation is you can't use an ActiveX EXE because that requires registration and thus an installer.

You are right. But the first thing I found on YouTube page - it's complaints about the error. I can not share the experience. I did not do it myself!

dilettante, thank you for the explanation!

I'm really interested in your question!
    Over the weekend I read a lot of information about portable applications and virtualization technologies. On one site found a link to ready products. This means that you can see examples of portable games, debuggers, or even browsers. I was a little surprised that it is in the public domain. link http://www.portablefreeware.com/

Thank you!
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have all the tools for developing and samples.
    I would be grateful for any advice!