Thread: Insert into fails without error

Hyperactive Member

Insert into fails without error

Hi All

Ive had a couple of posts on this topic but i just cant find a solution. I have a pos system and at 1 or to clients when they are extremely busy they lose orders. I am using sql express 2008 and i can only attribute this data loss to how busy this client is, as the data is saved 95% of the time and then not, it is very erratic and im struggling to find a solution. The biggest problem is, is that the insert into statement fails but it fails without any error what so ever.So my biggest question is how do i trap or deal with an error that doesnt seem to exist ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    AJ

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Insert into fails without error

Are there any consistenys at all when this occurs, such as:

Time of day
    Day of week
    Customer
    Another application running at the same time potentially taking away processing time

Hyperactive Member

Hi Hack

There does'nt seem to be any consistancy or pattern to these occurences at all, it's completely random. I have checked the server pc it is a dual core with over 3 gig Ram. There was an instance of sql express 2005 installed as well which has now been completely removed.Even uninstalled the anti virus as a test. But with the same results.

Hyperactive Member

Just a thought, all the pos terminlas are using Panda antivirus ! I dont know this product at all and am wondering if this is not the source of all my headaches. has anyone used Panda before or know of any issues regarding this software that could cause any tcp/ip or winsock corruptions ?

Thanks
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjames View Post
    Hi All

Ive had a couple of posts on this topic but i just cant find a solution. I have a pos system and at 1 or to clients when they are extremely busy they lose orders. I am using sql express 2008 and i can only attribute this data loss to how busy this client is, as the data is saved 95% of the time and then not, it is very erratic and im struggling to find a solution. The biggest problem is, is that the insert into statement fails but it fails without any error what so ever.So my biggest question is how do i trap or deal with an error that doesnt seem to exist ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    AJ
    I don't think I've ever seen an insert fail without an error. Is it possible it is just not being caught?

Fanatic Member

Have you designed your SQL with try catch blocks.If the data is getting to the SP then it cannot be a firewall, or anti-virus issue unless this is looking for key words in data traffic to block and the data being sent happens to include some of those words to look for.

With the SP's if you have try catch blocks send some deliberate error's to ensure the catch block works. if it does then I'd suggest in here you log the errors into another table if your not already. This WILL catch the errors if the sp is getting called correctly. secondly, if it happens frequently, you could run the sql profiler which might also give some indication.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Can you disable this Panda product for a while to see if it has any affect?