Thread: Puzzle

Lively Member

Smile Puzzle

Assume you have a method "SAMPLE" which accepts 3 integer parameters namely VALUE1, VALUE2 & VALUE3 and return an integer value which will be the product of the top 2 bigger values (out of the 3 input parameters).

Note : Try out an one line logic for this method, which shouldn’t use if else / ternary / max functions??.

Addicted Member

Re: Puzzle

You should have posted this in the maths forum. I'm certain it would have been answered almost immediately.

What is this? Is it some kind of homework, or a challenge? If it is homework, is it a problem teaching something about LINQ, or is LINQ another item that has to be excluded?

If using LINQ is the point of the answer, what is the point of the question?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by rnjnagu View Post
    Assume you have a method "SAMPLE" which accepts 3 integer parameters namely VALUE1, VALUE2 & VALUE3 and return an integer value which will be the product of the top 2 bigger values (out of the 3 input parameters).

Note : Try out an one line logic for this method, which shouldn’t use if else / ternary / max functions??.
    I can't see how this could be accomplished without If...Then. The calculation done is based on a condition so there is need for conditional branching. Anyone who can do this without it, I'd buy them a drink.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

As long as the items are in an array, or can be put into an array, it can be done with a truly ugly LINQ statement, or a multi line Lamda. Neither one is particularly efficient, and it makes use of some form of collection sorting.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

If your chosen language allows implicit conversion between booleans and integers (eg c,c++,vb classic)...

C
    Code:
    int TopTwoSum(int a, int b, int c)
    {
       return a * (a>=b|a>=c) + b * (b>a|b>=c) + c * (c>a|c>b);
    }
    VB classic warning: my vb is getting pretty rusty
    Code:
    Function TopTwoSum(ByVal a As Integer, ByVal b As Integer,ByVal c As Integer) As Integer
    	TopTwoSum =  -a * (a>=b Or a>=c) - b * (b>a Or b>=c) - c * (c>a Or c>b);
    End Function
    Last edited by Milk; Apr 9th, 2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: added a VB classic example
    W o t . S i g

I'm gonna build a shrine to you Milk
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Arguably that technique falls under the category of an If Else construct. It's a form of branching.

The answer really depends on whether this sentence:-
    which shouldn’t use if else / ternary / max functions
    refers to categories of techniques or specific items of syntax.

If it's categories of techniques then I would argue that this is impossible because the problem logically requires either branching or a sort and select.

If it's distinct bits of syntax then the answers easy because you simply pick a different branching or sorting mechanism (e.g. case).

In truth, it just wasn't a very well phrased question.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I agree that the question is rather vague, but I would argue that there is no branching in that code. If I'd used conditional logical operators then yes, there would be branching. If you like it is a branchless If Else construct. I'm terming a branch as a point where the set of instructions to be executed by the processor is dependent on the result of a comparison instruction.

btw hows the climbing?
    W o t . S i g

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

We're definitely getting into semantics but...

If I'd used conditional logical operators
    You have:-
    (a>=b|a>=c)
    (b>a|b>=c)
    (c>a|c>b)

I'd also argue (although pretty tenuously, I must admit) that you do have a different set of instructions being executed as a result of the comparison. They just happen to exist on the same line and the instruction is actually calculated from the reults of the comparison instead of being reached by means of a jump.

I still take my hat off to you though. I wouldn't have thought to use false = 0 like that.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I meant OrElse as opposed to Or but you knew that.
    W o t . S i g

One line you say ?
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim X As Integer = 10
    2.         Dim Y As Integer = 11
    3.         Dim Z As Integer = 5
    5.         Console.WriteLine((X - ((X - Y) And ((X - Y) >> 31))) + ((X + Y) - (X - ((X - Y) And ((X - Y) >> 31))) - (((X + Y) - (X - ((X - Y) And ((X - Y) >> 31))) - Z) And (((X + Y) - (X - ((X - Y) And ((X - Y) >> 31))) - Z) >> 31))))

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF