A friend and I have over a period of more than two years developed a fairly complex VB6 program. It is mostly to do with Access databases and their interaction with Excel sheets.

The program has been written on 32 bit machines running under win98SE, win2000 and winXP. These have all worked fine. A package and deployment wizard was produced under on the Win XP machine running VB6 and this has been successfully installed on several other XP machines as a stand-alone program (ie. they do not have VB6 loaded to them).

So far, so good. Now there is a need to have our program run on Win 7 64 bit machines. However when we run the installation package it freezes. There is no error message - it simply stops part way through.

I realise that in the above I have provided little detail thus far.

The initial question please is whether there is some fundamental step which must be taken before a VB6 program (which will be 32 bit) can be installed on a 64 bit win7 machine?

I searched the forum for precedents, but whereas there has been quite a lot of mention of Win7 64 complications none seemed to cover our problem.

Suggestions and/or pointers to information sources would be appreciated please.

camoore
Wales, UK