Thread: creating a lan game HELP!!

creating a lan game HELP!!

Hello! im new here

i would like to get some ideas on how to connect computers to play a

LAN game.. the deadline for this project will be on the 27th of march so

i hope that i can get some help..

The game that i'll be making is a counter-strike-like 2d game.. is it possible

that i can finish this project before its deadline?

Re: creating a lan game HELP!!

In that short amount of time...I would doubt you could...Though I guess you stay up for a week and have a couple other people helping you out...but honestly...the amount of programming that goes into even a 2d game is not something that can be written in that short of time...at least if it is to have any sort of complexity like CS does.

If you do manage to pull this off...let me know and I will drop you my e-mail address if you don't mind sending the project file...I would be interested to look at your coding

Heck, if you can do any kind of reasonable job of that size in five days, you don't NEED school.

The typical way that computers communicate for LAN games would be through UDP. Over in the .NET CodeBank I have a small UDP class that I abstracted away from some robot code I was working on. That would be a start for the communication, but it would only talk about how the communication took place, not what it was. You'd have to work out that last part, as it would be a big part of the game.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

LAN games use UDP for communicating in-game actions so that the game is synchronised on all PCs based on players' actions. UDP, is quite fast and is highly suited for this type of thing as gamers tend to perform lots of actions in short amounts of time. However, these types of games usually have some kind of lobby where players can meet up and sometimes even chat before starting an actual game. The lobby is often implemented on a Server(Eg. Battle.Net) to which players must connect which means you'd need to learn how to use the TCP protocol as well. For LAN, any PC can act as a server by hosting a game as you would see in games like AOE. Other players on the LAN can see who the other players are and join if they so choose. This too would probably utilize a TCP connection although discovery is most likely implemented as a UDP broadcast. Point is you may also need to learn how to program TCP networking.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Could you post the instructions you were given for the project? Given the timescale involved, I'm tempted to conclude you've overestimated what the instructors are looking for.

im thinking of creating just 1 map (de_dust), then the players will not buy guns (guns equipped will depend on the character selected. 2 char for tero and 2 char for counter. handguns only)

the gameplay would be something like this >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFf3rdj89M

but no other ammos, handguns only.

the gameplay will be like counter-strike 2d w/c can be downloaded from this site >> www.cs2d.com..

the difference in this game is that the weapon will depend on the character selected (2 char tero, 2 char
    counter)

1 map only - de_dust

the player cannot but anything (guns and armor will depend on the character selected) no bombs etc..

anyone?

What are you looking for at this point? You stated what you wanted to do, I gave you a tip on some UDP code that would be used for the game, what else? I sure can't do art, so I wouldn't be saying anything about that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Given your plans, and the deadline, I think the most useful advice at this point is stop browsing the Web and get on with it!