Thread: Odd issues with PC

Threaded View

PowerPoster

Question Odd issues with PC

A friend of mine is having some odd issues with his PC and I am wondering if maybe someone has a clue what could be going on.

Intel I5 quad core, MSI mb, 4gigs DDR3, 2 1.5 TB drives, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Windows XP pro. both drives run 2 partitions for a total of 4 750g partitions.

When installing from DVD he was getting CRC errors. I copied the files from disk to the HD and ran the install still get CRC errors. During the process of testing it I received about 4 or 5 message saying windows explorer has stopped working(referring to the desktop shell I assume). He also tells me he has been getting blue screens quite often.

I tried his disks on my system and they installed without issue. I thought maybe some corrputed files on his system so I ran a full image restore of the Windows 7 partition. After doing this I was able to install his games without issue and all seemed fine. A few days later a patch was released for the game he was playing and when he tried to apply it he got a CRC error. Once again he is getting blue screens and CRC errors on installing large files.

Any ideas what could cause this behaviour?

btw the problems above are all under windows 7 but he tells me he is also having problems with XP though not the same issues and I have not did any testing on his system under XP. The 2 OSs are on different physical hard drives set up to be completely independant of each other. Either can be booted by selecting the proper hard disk at system start or by changing the boot order in CMOS.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Mar 18th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.