Thread: Odd issues with PC

PowerPoster

Question Odd issues with PC

A friend of mine is having some odd issues with his PC and I am wondering if maybe someone has a clue what could be going on.

Intel I5 quad core, MSI mb, 4gigs DDR3, 2 1.5 TB drives, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Windows XP pro. both drives run 2 partitions for a total of 4 750g partitions.

When installing from DVD he was getting CRC errors. I copied the files from disk to the HD and ran the install still get CRC errors. During the process of testing it I received about 4 or 5 message saying windows explorer has stopped working(referring to the desktop shell I assume). He also tells me he has been getting blue screens quite often.

I tried his disks on my system and they installed without issue. I thought maybe some corrputed files on his system so I ran a full image restore of the Windows 7 partition. After doing this I was able to install his games without issue and all seemed fine. A few days later a patch was released for the game he was playing and when he tried to apply it he got a CRC error. Once again he is getting blue screens and CRC errors on installing large files.

Any ideas what could cause this behaviour?

btw the problems above are all under windows 7 but he tells me he is also having problems with XP though not the same issues and I have not did any testing on his system under XP. The 2 OSs are on different physical hard drives set up to be completely independant of each other. Either can be booted by selecting the proper hard disk at system start or by changing the boot order in CMOS.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Mar 18th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Addicted Member

Re: Odd issues with PC

Hiya DM, Remember the thread we were in with the guy who had compile errors? Blue Screens are a dead ringer for power supply problems. Small amounts of data corruption and after it builds up, then you get massive errors which lead to a catastrophic fault (Blue Screen) A full image restore would temporarily remove the corrupted data by an overwrite, but the underlying issue is still there. I'm betting hardware.

PowerPoster

I am thinking hardware as well, I had not considered the power supply though. I was thinking maybe the drive but that would not explain the issues with XP on the other drive. I am just hoping it is not a chip issue on the MB.

I will see about swapping out the PS and see what happens, I think I've got a spare around here somewhere

Thanks for the idea. I'll post back when I get the results.

Hyperactive Member

Try running the system at minimum spec and see what you can rule out. Unplug all devices except monitor, keyboard and mouse. Disable extra features in your bios, and see if it still does it. If it does go further and remove all un needed hdds and disk drives.

If it works fine without the extra hdds and disk drives, there's probably not enough power from your psu.
    If your question is answered then mark your thread RESOLVED and give credit to whoever answered it.

If you fail, try and try again, its the only way to success.

PowerPoster

I'm planning to try swapping out the PSU and see what happens, The hard part is that I will need to restore the OS and then let it run for several days to see if the problem reappears.

Currently it has a 750 watt PSU which unless faulty should be plenty of power. I have a 575 watt on hand and after checking the specs it should supply enough power to run the system without issue so as soon as I can get the system here again I will throw in the spare PSU and see what happens.

I suppose before I swap it I should check all the connections just to make sure there is not a plug somewhere which is not firmly seated in the socket.

As for drives the system contains 2 1.5TB HDDs, 1 DVD RW, The power hogs are the I5 CPU and the 460GT video card.

What's the brand because you should never trust unknown brands
    "When ideas and actions fuse, they form creations"

PowerPoster

Brand of what? Brand of PC means very little other than if it has one then it was likely prebuilt with cheap components and preloaded with cheap software. I build my own PCs with Quality parts and to a higher standard than the brand names you can buy off the shelf somewhere.

As for the System, It is custom build and every component is a trusted brand on the high end of the scale.

Well I was talking about the psu and if you really think that the parts are really that good then it could be a compatibility problem, but if your friend has a lot of knowledge about computer building and is 100% sure that they are compatible with together, then idk.

PowerPoster

The power supply is a Ultra LS750. I built the system for him myself and all seemed well when I had it here but he has had it for a year now and says he has been having issues all along. I have used lots of Ultra PSUs and so far have had 1 that was bad [would sometimes just shut down the system but would always restart and ran fine] Ultra promptly replaced the PSU when I determined the problem.

As for compatibility, high end MSI board, Intel I5 CPU, Corsiar XMS DDR3, Seagate HDDs, LiteOn DVD RW, Ultra M998 Case with lots of air flow.

I've used MSI boards for Intel processors before and never had an issue. All the other components I have used in other systems without issue aside from the Video card which is a GT460, I think an MSI brand but could be wrong. In my systems here the strongest card I have used is a 9800GT but I doubt the video card is an issue unless the power supply is bad and can't handle the video card load.

I still have not managed to get the PC back into my office to check out the PSU so I really do not know anything more at the moment.

Try searching for the products and see if anyone else had these problems. If you do find a review that had similar problems then you'll know which part is the problem. Other than that I don't know and gl

Addicted Member

DM, stick with the PS.

Addicted Member

Any luck buddy?

PowerPoster

I have not been able to get his PC long enough to test it. Apparently it is running well enough that he can still play this game he is hooked on and he does not want to give it up right now. He can't get anything to install and explorer crashes when viewing files but his game will play still so......

I'll post back when I have some result.