Thread: Vb6 express - where to get it ?

Hyperactive Member

Smile Vb6 express - where to get it ?

Hi where can I get VB6 express (yes, vb6 NOT Net !).
    Before u send me to "google it yrself" I already try but I only get results for VB.Net express

Please revert with good links, thanks

Kind regards

PowerPoster

Re: Vb6 express - where to get it ?

There is no such thing as VB6 express.

Correct they never made a VB6 Express only VB.Net Express. Where have you seen this mensioned? I see it mensioned on torrent sites but you can't trust those.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

Hyperactive Member

I'm sorry I meant the lite version of VB6 thats free, the one without the compiler.

PowerPoster

As far as I can tell there never was a free version of VB6. The closest thing was VB5 Control Creation Edition.

I have seen a VB6 Control Creation Edition mentioned, but I believe it was only sold as part of Visual FoxPro 6.0 Professional and Enterprise. VS 6.0 did not include it since you had full VB6 in those packages.

Yes there has been the VB6 Student/Learning Edition which didn't allow you to compile exe's without a tweak. I used to have a link from a German university that allowed you to download it for free but that link has since been stopped.

Yes VB5 Control Creation Edition is available http://vb5cced.zxq.net/HOME2/DL/PAGE2.htm
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

PowerPoster

Was this ever free or were they pirating it though? My guess is the latter, since it replaced VB5 Standard Edition which was never free.

Visual Basic Learning Edition

The Visual Basic Learning edition allows programmers to easily create powerful applications for Microsoft Windows and Windows NT®. It includes all intrinsic controls, plus grid, tab, and data-bound controls. Documentation provided with this edition includes Learn VB Now (a multimedia CD-ROM title), plus Microsoft Developer Network CDs containing full online documentation.
    See Visual Basic Editions

It is possible there was a "no EXE" version similar to VB5 & VB6 CCE, but that would have been part of a Microsoft Press book's companion CD and probably not legal to redistribute.

PowerPoster

Frenzied Member

Smile Re: Vb6 express - where to get it ?

Hyperactive Member

I already have enterprise at home but I wanted to install a "lite" VB6 at the office just for those moments when u have the inspiration and u just cant wait :-)

PowerPoster

I'm pretty sure this book come with the Learning Edition. http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself...1997374&sr=1-1 You may want to contact some of the people that are selling it used and see if it is being sold with the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by horazio View Post
    I already have enterprise at home but I wanted to install a "lite" VB6 at the office just for those moments when u have the inspiration and u just cant wait :-)
    Horazio,

I don't think anyone is going to hunt you down for software piracy if you install your copy of Enterprise on your office machine too. You're not pirating it if you use it that way since only you are using it.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Horazio,

I don't think anyone is going to hunt you down for software piracy if you install your copy of Enterprise on your office machine too. You're not pirating it if you use it that way since only you are using it.

-Max
    You really need to check the license agreement. Some of the MS products allow you to load it on multiple machines for your use only. I'm not sure if VB is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    You really need to check the license agreement. Some of the MS products allow you to load it on multiple machines for your use only. I'm not sure if VB is one of them.
    Probably true. Best to stick with the rules. However in the case of VB6 I doubt Microsoft would make an issue of it in the same way they would if you put Windows on 2 machines. That would definitely be a licensing violation because it would be in-use on two machines at once.

I'm generally a REAL stickler when it comes to software licensing but on this one I don't see a problem if the two machines are separate, owned by the same individual and only used one-at-a-time. I doubt Microsoft would take issue with that either. However you have to do what you're comfortable with.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

We had to check the licensing ourselves a while back on vb6, your fine to install it on your work machine as long as its only you using it

Its licensed per developer not machine
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin