dcsimg

Thread: Signing up with an agency. Do I have enough experience...

Lively Member

Signing up with an agency. Do I have enough experience...

Despite creating multiple applications in VB.net, involving bots that scrape data off the web to creating desktop applications which controls stock levels/products/customers and employee access (w/ mySQL backend). I just do NOT feel confident in applying for jobs involving programming. I'm not new to programming, and have been doing it on and off for around 4 years.

So I guess my question is how much experience do I need to be qualified enough to be accepted as a Junior developer?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Signing up with an agency. Do I have enough experience...

4 years is plenty enough if it's employed experience.

From the way you've worded it, though, it sounds like these might have been 'Home' projects, is that the case? Stuff you do at home tends not to impress agencies because every man and his dog can claim to have programming from home. If that's your situation then try and find ways of "proving" the work you've done. e.g. set up sme demos a potential employer could look at, that sort of thing.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Lively Member

6 Months is employed and this was at a small manufacturing company designing their database to keep track of ins and outs of the company (stock,employees, orders, etc), the rest has been small freelance projects, I do have a portfolio of around 4 projects I've completed with one on the way. Latest one I'm working on is quite large and based on Twitter, designed to find targeted followers based on geographic location, interests etc either automatically or semi automatically.

Here is one example of my work that i had done in around 2 days for a small market research company hwne I was applying for a job they had listed to manage their list of clients (they had all of their clients in spreadsheets *facepalm*)...

Code:
    http://s14.postimage.org/mr2qeqp5b/image.jpg
    Code:
    http://s13.postimage.org/dxycaz45h/image.jpg
    Code:
    http://s18.postimage.org/6nc0qc2k7/image.jpg

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Well the six months alone should be enough for them to take you seriously. If you make sure your portfolio is in a demonstratable state too then you should be able to get interviews.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Banned

if you are in the midst of working on a big program you want to patent or copyright, than do not apply
    else apply.