Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

Re: !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Gee sorry that I fell asleep, because of the members posting on my Thread!! This is the first night's sleep for about since Feburary '12!! I now usually sleep in the day time, not at night because of the time thing on this Forum...
    What were you doing at night ?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/draculan.png/

Partying ?
    (just kidding)

Last edited by akhileshbc; Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Re: !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

Working on the computer, either paper work, pesudo code, working offline and then eating dinner at 12:00pm, Perth time!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

You can reach my free products, at the following link on my Forum Member's Signature. I hope that you enjoy the products, and then can you please post the feedback on this Thread. That would really be nice, if you could do so. But you have to say, as to which one you are emplying about...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Please look further into this Thread, cause of there being a newer more up to date version of the Product...
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Apr 25th, 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about that so can't really comment. Let me see if I can clarify where I'm coming from a bit because I'm not sure whether we're arguing the same point or not. I'll probably get the syntax wrong so bear with me.

This is obviously wrong:-
    Code:
    'Program starts Here
    On Error Resume Next
    'Loads of lines of code
    That's just turning error handling off. I imagine we're probaly in agreement on that though.

This isn't as wrong but I would argue is still bad practice:-
    Code:
    On Error Goto MyHandler
    'Various bits of code I'm handling correctly
    On Error Resume Next 'Skip any errors because I don't care if the files already closed
    File.Close
    On Error Goto MyHandler
    'More bit of code I'm handling correctly.
    I used to come across that alot in my VB6 days but I still think it's bad because you don't actually know that the error being thrown is that the file is already closed. The error could be something completely different and this will carry on regardless. I guess there may be some situations where a particular line of code can only throw one type of error and you're happy to ignore it, but even then you don't know the underlying implementation won't change at some point.

I would argue that this is correct:0
    Code:
    On Error goto MyGeneralHandler
    ...Various Lines of code being correctly handled
    On Error goto myFileCloseHandler
    File.Close
    On Error goto MyGeneralHandler
    ... more lines of code being correctly handled

MyFileCloseHandler:
    If Error.code = "File Already Closed" 'Or whatever the error code for that was
       Resume Next

MyGeneralHandler:
    'Do whatever error handling you'd normally do here
    Here you're making sure the error is the one you want to consume before you consume it. Having a separate handler may or may not be apropriate, depending on the situation, but the point is to check the error first and make sure it's the one you think it is.

I've seen that argued a lot and disagree I'm afraid. It means your just ignoring any error you weren't expecting... and they're the really dangerous ones. I guess you could check for any error after every line of code but that seems awefully innefficient to me.

The Shaggy v Funky Rhyme Battle
    Played out 'fore the VBF cattle
    The puns were displaced
    by formed rhymes in their place
    But I aint got a final line that'll...

...scan correctly

Turns out I'm not very good at limericks. And I don't really think the VBFers are cattle but, hey, you try coming up with a rhyme for battle just after you've eaten lunch.
    In VBScript, On Error Resume Next is the only way to do error handling, there is no On Error Goto. I would agree though, I cannot think of a reason why you should use it aside from being lazy, I have used it when I don't care about the error e.g. deleting a temporary you never intend to use again within an error handler, I try not to use nested error handling in VB. But I can still think of reasons why that would be bad (like the program is not releasing the file handle and if the process is iterative or repeated often it might max out the number of file handlers a program can have).
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Yes, but then there are simple errors like some sort of lines, like: "Cannot find file," when loading the DialogBox inside my CustomDialogBox, of ActiveX Control Objects...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I've seen that argued a lot and disagree I'm afraid. It means your just ignoring any error you weren't expecting... and they're the really dangerous ones. I guess you could check for any error after every line of code but that seems awefully innefficient to me.
    In most cases you aren't really looking for several different types of errors to be thrown. So if I were doing a file I/O there would be just about two or three types of errors I have to handle. Thankfully the days are gone where before every memory allocation you had to watch for the available free memory. So theoretically it's still very much possible to use inline error handling. After all that's exactly what we do in SQL or when calling the APIs, so why should it be wrong in VB6?

The trouble is that not everyone is disciplined enough to do it diligently.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

hehe ,, We aren't so structured in VB6 COM. But then why should we be that way, for being so many years not being???

Please look further into this Thread, so that you can then be able to Download the exactly the most up to date version of the Project Files...
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Is it possible - this is just a random thought, mind you! - to rewrite whatever you have written in one of the modern technology platforms, such as maybe Dotnet?

General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

I'm sure Microsoft programming teams can't wait to get their hands on this.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Is it possible - this is just a random thought, mind you! - to rewrite whatever you have written in one of the modern technology platforms, such as maybe Dotnet?
    I agree. Sounds like you're truly ready to be a .Net programmer.

Well they chop and change very quickly like getting up to C#, that was very unsounded like...

I can't parse that statement.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I can't parse that statement.
    I got an exception:-
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

LOL @ Niya - I they allowed points for Chit-Chat ... you certainly would get some from me.... that's..... just brilliant.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    LOL @ Niya - I they allowed points for Chit-Chat ... you certainly would get some from me.... that's..... just brilliant.

-tg
    Haha, Shaggy's comment reminded me of how TryParse would silently fail when it cannot convert. Before coming here, I've always used functions like CInt to convert which throws exceptions when a conversion cannot be made. That how I came up with that lol
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    In VBScript, On Error Resume Next is the only way to do error handling, there is no On Error Goto. I would agree though, I cannot think of a reason why you should use it aside from being lazy, I have used it when I don't care about the error e.g. deleting a temporary you never intend to use again within an error handler, I try not to use nested error handling in VB. But I can still think of reasons why that would be bad (like the program is not releasing the file handle and if the process is iterative or repeated often it might max out the number of file handlers a program can have).
    I somewhat recall On Error GoTo 0 in VBScript... all though all it did was disable error handling totally

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Haha, Shaggy's comment reminded me of how TryParse would silently fail when it cannot convert. Before coming here, I've always used functions like CInt to convert which throws exceptions when a conversion cannot be made. That how I came up with that lol
    TryParse isn't supposed to throw exceptions. That is why it accepts the result variable ByRef as a parameter. So it can return True/False if the parse was successful or not. Why would you want it to throw an exception? That is what the regular Parse method is there for. In fact TryParse was added later on after Parse, for the exact reason of the want to try to parse something without having to setup try/catch error handling around it.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    TryParse isn't supposed to throw exceptions. That is why it accepts the result variable ByRef as a parameter. So it can return True/False if the parse was successful or not. Why would you want it to throw an exception? That is what the regular Parse method is there for. In fact TryParse was added later on after Parse, for the exact reason of the want to try to parse something without having to setup try/catch error handling around it.
    I know. I would always use other forms of validation before passing it to functions like CInt. For example I'd often wrap a conversion that is meant to convert a String to an Integer in an If...Then block that tests the String using IsNumeric before attempting to convert to avoid the exceptions.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    I somewhat recall On Error GoTo 0 in VBScript... all though all it did was disable error handling totally
    I've seen that a few times, there is an assumption that it changes the error handler back to what you had before. I have also seen an On Error Goto xx and the label xx just is at the end of the routine with only an Exit Sub / Function.

I still use VB (I mean VBA) on a daily basis as MS Access and Excel seem to be the tools of choice for large financial institutions. They also favour using cowboys to build the tools then get expensive people like me in to fix the mess.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

then get expensive people like me in to fix the mess
    So that's where all our money went. Give it back, you.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I don't get it, the company I work for does. They rake in about 1200% more than I get paid.

I agree with TG: I have never been tempted to rate a post in CC, but that one would be the first. That was really well done.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

hehe ,, That On Errror GoTo, was something that I took very lightly, in deed!!

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    I don't get it, the company I work for does. They rake in about 1200% more than I get paid.
    Well I make nothing for every Project that I work on. Also I don't get paid for my work. So then that kind of profit, is then considered a gold mine!!

-- Please check further into this Thread, so that you are able to download the newer versions of the Project that I am working on!!
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Apr 22nd, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Well I make nothing for every Project that I work on. Also I don't get paid for my work. So then that kind of profit, is then considered a gold mine!!
    Well I have heard about PCI busians and their cacheless economy. I am not a fan of PCI bus though, the last time I went there it was really hot and datasaurus' kept taking bytes out of me.

Stack Overflow mod​erator

Quote Originally Posted by visualad View Post
    well i have heard about pci busians and their cacheless economy. I am not a fan of pci bus though, the last time i went there it was really hot and datasaurus' kept taking bytes out of me.
    +500

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I only wrote that many years ago, as per the normal bus at the time was: PCI Bus and then not anymore, in fact of the matter...

@ thEiMp,

That horoscope image could be a bit smaller! On your website it is annoying to have to adjust your view because the part of the page with info on it is halfway down the page that image is way to big.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

You mean the Sun Signs on the main index.htm page, right???

Please look further into this Thread, cause there being a newer version of the Product...
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Apr 25th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

PowerPoster

So this "new Single Language" thing is about programming via devination?

hehe ,, That On Errror GoTo, was something that I took very lightly, in deed!!
    One more reason for us to not try your code for we may catch something and finally realize it was all wrong.

General VB Faq Thread

Why not??? There isn't anything wrong. It's only Source Code, you can open it up in Notepad, therefore you can not catch anything from the Code. Also the Controls are genuine and that there are only two of the ActiveX Control Objects, that I have written they are, as follows: The CustomDialogBox and the PlusMinus Control. Please note that they have been included inside the QuickDirector Express Project Files ZIP. But the PlusMinus Control, has been embedded into the Project Files, and therefore you will then be able to review it after I have been able to release it in time. That is all I need to have this Project finished, and then posted on the Internet in this very Forum, really postive maybe there for the Source Code, at that...
    Last edited by ThEiMp; Apr 23rd, 2012 at 01:37 AM.

You mean the Sun Signs on the main index.htm page, right???
    What I see when I look at the main index page is a white rectangle then a scrollable section below it. The white rectangle had a advert on it (in my case it seems to be an ad for Pantene aqua Light).
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

What on earth is this all about?

This should explain it

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast