Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why iPhones Are So Popular

Re: Why iPhones Are So Popular

Its a good phone; I don't really want the flexibility the Linux brings in a phone, just the ability to make phone calls and use other features like camera and email, etc.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    I wish to post something about it. But I don't have an iPhone at all.

Anyway, if you wish to ask me my opinion about iPhone, you better send me one on or before this Christmas, to try it out.

I have started accepting all kinds of gifts like iPads, iPhones, iPods, or anything that starts with the letter "i".

I think the quality of the product is what it makes so popular. Another fact is that, people like you and me are posting comments, sharing news about the latest "i" products, etc. praising it's features and providing free advertising for them, which inturn increases it's popularity.

An iPhone was on my wish list, and then I got one for my birthday this year! One more thing I should be grateful for.

Your last paragraph sums up what I said in my first post nicely.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    The iPhone 4, 3GS and 4S are the most popular smartphones in that order. Why?

1) Simplicity. A lot of people want a smartphone with as small of a learning curve as possible - in other words, one that "just works."Apple prides itself in delivering that phone. For example, I can switch between apps simply by double-tapping the home button, swiping left or right if necessary, then tapping the app. I didn't have to tweak the phone so I could do that.

2) Siri (iPhone 4S) is currently the only "personal assistant" I am aware of that is available on a cellphone.

3) Some people have or had an iPad or an iPod touch. So using an iPhone is even easier than it would be if they didn't have an iDevice. Plus, the apps that work on an iPod touch also work on an iPhone.

That's my list of reasons.
    I think it's more to do with:
    1) Hardware design (iPhone 4's glass and metal case feels like jewerly, other phones are made of plastic). Even the shape feels classier (the rounded corners,but straight sides).
    2) iTunes and the appstore. Even if you don't buy music, the huge number of free podcasts and university lectures are appealing, along with free apps.
    The android stores seem a bit more fragmented? I'm not too certain as I haven't used it.
    3) Lets be honest, Google did outright steal most of Apple's intuitive designs (or at least the Apple developer who designed it), like the swipes and zooms.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

1. Not all phones are plastic... unless it's Samsung, then yes, they're all plastic
    2. Android has waaaay more free apps. Even Angry Birds is free on Android.
    3. Are you seriously suggesting that Apple invented swiping?! And they didn't "swipe" anything from Google, like the notification center for example, or wireless syncing. And not to mention what other platforms like Symbian did yeeears before Apple even considered making a phone. Everyone 'borrowed' from everyone, but only Apple stoops to being a pissy cry baby about it, all the while doing the same thing to others.

Only the users, not the company, as far as I can see. They used to complain about Windows, too. They seem to feel that you should have special rights if you were the first to steal something.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Only the users, not the company, as far as I can see. They used to complain about Windows, too. They seem to feel that you should have special rights if you were the first to steal something.
    Not according to the latest biography: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/20/...stroy-android/

Actually, when you think about it, throughout Apple's existence they always had some "supervillan" they hated and wanted to destroy. First it was IBM, the beige big brother, then it was Bill Gates and Microsoft who "stole Windows and everything else" from them, and now it's Google.
    Last edited by baja_yu; Mar 21st, 2012 at 07:39 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

They seem to feel that you should have special rights if you were the first to steal something.
    Hey! That's a fine British tradition. We built an empire on that basis.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

An then when they give it back, sue them for stealing our way of life? Nice one
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

~liz
    ('@ ' )~

Quote Originally Posted by lehgzil View Post

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

I just think people like the iPhone because of the Apple brand. Everything about the Apple brand is slick and stylish and this translates into their products.

Are iPhones still popular? This thread is sooo March. I thought the Samsug Galazy Tabz was all the rage...
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Hyperactive Member

The iPhone 4, 3GS and 4S are the most popular smartphones in that order. Why?

1) Simplicity. A lot of people want a smartphone with as small of a learning curve as possible - in other words, one that "just works."Apple prides itself in delivering that phone. For example, I can switch between apps simply by double-tapping the home button, swiping left or right if necessary, then tapping the app. I didn't have to tweak the phone so I could do that.

2) Siri (iPhone 4S) is currently the only "personal assistant" I am aware of that is available on a cellphone.

3) Some people have or had an iPad or an iPod touch. So using an iPhone is even easier than it would be if they didn't have an iDevice. Plus, the apps that work on an iPod touch also work on an iPhone.

That's my list of reasons.
    4) It's a fashion accessory dumbed down so valley girls can use it to spout meaningless dribble to each other.
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    I don't get all the fuss about Siri. Even if it was an actual person with an IQ of 150, assigned to sit there and server only my request whenever I want it to, I still think talking to a device is stupid. It's slower, prone to errors and most importantly you look like a douche.
    I talk to myself all the time.

Parksie

Yes he does. He is also a douche !

Parksie

You want to know why they are so popular? They just freakin' work. Plain and simple. They just work. You take it out of the box, juice it up, turn it on, register it... and bam! there you go. In the land of the normal folk, it's freakin' magic and it just works. Most of the time.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

As opposed to other phones that you have to assemble by yourself? Maybe if IKEA ever enters the market

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You take it out of the box, juice it up, turn it on, register it...
    So did my old rotary phone

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The typical public doesn't get driod... it comes across as a geeky tech toy... iPhone demystified it... it automatically synchs with people's iTunes ...

-tg

OH... and Apples knows marketing...
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    So did my old rotary phone
    Really? All I had to do with mine was take it out of the box and plug it in...

-tg

on an unrelated note, I'm still amused by memories of my friend's use of an acoustic 300baud modem back in the day....

I remember how happy we were when 1200 baud came out!

Back in the mid 80's we had customers in Toronto and the Canadian border officials would not let me bring a VT55 terminal into the country thinking I was going to sell it! Had to leave it with them and get it back when I returned at the end of the week.

Not so bad - that meant I couldn't work late hours in the hotel - only when the office was actually open!

I can't imagine traveling with dumb-terminals and modems today!

btw - the VT55 was an upgrade to the VT50. It had 24 lines of 80 characters each - the VT50 had only 12 lines (same screen size - just skipped a line).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

I'm amazed at how dumb the things sold as "smart phones" are these days. More like an MP3 player or a fishfinder than a Star Trek tricorder.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

The typical public doesn't get driod... it comes across as a geeky tech toy...
    I see about as many "typical public" with Android phones as I do with iPhones now. In my opinion neither of them quite "just work" but the iPhone is much better at it...

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I remember how happy we were when 1200 baud came out!

Back in the mid 80's we had customers in Toronto and the Canadian border officials would not let me bring a VT55 terminal into the country thinking I was going to sell it! Had to leave it with them and get it back when I returned at the end of the week.

Not so bad - that meant I couldn't work late hours in the hotel - only when the office was actually open!

I can't imagine traveling with dumb-terminals and modems today!
    That's funny

I wonder what happened to those computers. Does anyone still own them, or have they been destroyed? If people still own them, do they use it or does it collect dust in the attic?

I would think either a) nobody owns one or b) those who do are letting it collect dust. Then again, some people still own and use N64's

iPhone do sync easier when it comes to music, videos, books... But, ONLY if you do everything through Apple and their iTunes. If you want anything else, then it doesn't just work. Sometimes it doesn't work at all.

On an unrelated matter, people that praise Apple/Jobs/iPhone yet still jailbreak their phones should look up the definition of the word: irony. And know that Steve hates you.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    iPhone do sync easier when it comes to music, videos, books... But, ONLY if you do everything through Apple and their iTunes. If you want anything else, then it doesn't just work. Sometimes it doesn't work at all.
    Actually, there are programs you can download, such as DiskAid. It may take some time to learn how to use them, but there are other options. Your computer does, however, have to have the Apple Mobile Device driver. For that, you can install iTunes, then remove everything that was installed except for driver-related files. I'm not exactly sure what files you can delete besides itunes.exe

Actually, there are programs you can download, such as DiskAid. It may take some time to learn how to use them, but there are other options. Your computer does, however, have to have the Apple Mobile Device driver. For that, you can install iTunes, then remove everything that was installed except for driver-related files. I'm not exactly sure what files you can delete besides itunes.exe
    And how many typical users are going to do all that? None. That's precicely what I was talking about. iPhones simply work.

-tg

And how many typical users are going to do all that? None. That's precicely what I was talking about. iPhones simply work.

-tg
    I must have misunderstood that. I thought moonie was saying that those are the hoops you have to get an iPhone to jump through in order to do what an Android phone does straight out of the box - download music from somewhere other than iTunes.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Now that I re-read it... I think I'm the one that mis-read it and you maybe right. Even still... that's a lot of work for someone in the typical target user group, of which none of us are.

But I still stand by my assertion that the reason iPhones are so popular is their integration with iTunes and the iCloud. If you think about it, it's a great long term strategy.... first create a desktop application that allows you to buy and download songs off the internet. Oh, and it will search out all media on your computer and organize it into a library in one place.
    Next, release a player that will integrate with this new app, allowing you to buy, organize and transfer media to this new portable device. Step 3, market the heck out of it. Make it sleek, sexy and desirable. Next, take that player, and turn it into a phone, along with the same integration with the app.
    Then you introduce the cloud storage. Now your phone, your tablet and your computer at home, are pretty much all in sync.
    And it all just works.

My wife has an iTouch... and quite simply, she enjoys the simplicity of being able to plug it into her computer, fire up iTunes, shuffle a few thigns around, and disconnect. To be honest, I like it too... one less thing I have to futz with on the network.

-tg

Hyperactive Member

iPhones have facetime, thats the only thing that makes them better than Android, hands down. I have an Android phone and it is faster, handles more apps and stays fast, has better battery life, and takes better picutres than all of my friends iPhones.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffalo View Post
    iPhones have facetime, thats the only thing that makes them better than Android, hands down. I have an Android phone and it is faster, handles more apps and stays fast, has better battery life, and takes better picutres than all of my friends iPhones.
    Which phone are you using ?

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Hyperactive Member

HTC MyTouch2 Slide 3g

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffalo View Post
    HTC MyTouch2 Slide 3g
    Thanks

Now hey does anyone remember the stupid idiot thing that was called: The Acorn Computer. Now that was totally rancid, in deed. Now wasn't it. Glad that I didn't own one, but then program one then, I did at primary school, like through the programming language of Logotron Logo!! That was the day that the only thing in the computer room, that was making the noise was the dasiy train printer. That was the stuff of hell spawned monsters, and then the nightmares of the youth of the world, at the past days gone by!! However all of this is going into the one thing, the iPhone is a now, thing and then not gonna be around like it was, in this time. It will then be able to do virtual modes, of games for example billards table pool. Where you take a cue tip and then wack it down on the other player's head!!

For example, I was only kidding. Because I am being totally ludicrious. The iPhone sux, totally. And then that makes the whole thing totally unbareable to the fact, of the matter at hand...

By the time that the iPhone is then made good again, then that will be the time that we have the Cell Mobile Phones, implanted into your brains and then we use them from that way of talking and then communicating. We will then be charged by the second/minute for face to face contact, with each other and the families of our life on this mother earth...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Have you heard that there is a processor that is a lot more lower voltage that the iPhone is capable of??? They are going to work it into the mobile devices, that use alot of power because of the fact of the matter, is that they will then be able to consume even lower amounts of energy and then be able to be alot more friendlier on the battery, of this day and age!!
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Have you heard that there is a processor that is a lot more lower voltage that the iPhone is capable of??? They are going to work it into the mobile devices, that use alot of power because of the fact of the matter, is that they will then be able to consume even lower amounts of energy and then be able to be alot more friendlier on the battery, of this day and age!!
    Exactly! Of this day and age.

Also a mobile phone feels like jewelery, because of the fact that some kind of person turned it into a fashion peice of @#$%, but then it looks like a jewelery kind of thing to me, because of the fact of what they can do, or even not do right, about now...

The SmartPhones, cannot play music, voice and also sound effects when playing their stupid 100kb games and apps. They are only able to do this when there isn't a some shape or form of displacer between the three fields of audio, music, voice and then effects...

Yeah. Displacers of some shapes or forms are a (female dog).

Also iPhone is really just a cell phone with a camera attached to it. It does all the same stuff, as well it tells people where you are in the world. If I couldn't be found, using any other process of illiimation. The fact that the iPhone is selling, is that it is telling people that it has something new, but really it doesn't in deed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12