Thread: Optical WiFi

Optical WiFi

I read an article about a new type of optical Wifi that uses common lasers to transmit data.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ical-wifi.html
    I thought it was quite funny to think of the implications of this being implemented.
    Rooms covered in mirrors.
    People that break the beam will instantly corrupt downloads.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

Re: Optical WiFi

There's nothing new about that. We did exactly that as a project in high school, for a peer to peer connection. That was 13 or 14 years ago. It was impractical back then as well

The Network devices that need to be connected would need to be relatively stationary which defeats the point of using lasers. People are getting desperate, and I think it's cool that you did this as a high school project.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

PowerPoster

No "Wi-Fi" involved at all. But I guess it was dumbed down for the Mac set or something. They probably buy "Wi-Fi" Ethernet cables too.

Should consider a name change to "No Scientist" though.

Everyone will need to wear goggles to protect them from all them lazerbeamz...

"My eyes! The goggles...!"

(But, yeah, this really isn't anything new - its' a case of trying to make a well used, niche technology, apply to a commercial market. Trying to introduce a technology that overcomes one of Wi-Fi's flaws and introducing an even bigger flaw, making the net result even worse than the flaws in wi-fi).
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

PowerPoster

Well, this should work from a static location to another static location. I imagine the transmitter and receiver is located very close to the ceiling.

If they use low power lasers like between 2.5mW and 5 mW, then there is no need for goggles. I've read somewhere (don't remember where) that with low power lasers, you have to have the laser pointing directly in your eye for a duration of 10 seconds or more for it to begin make any damage. But if the laser is close to the ceiling, how is the person gonna be able to stay (and look) in the laser beam for that long?
    Also, if the laser is pulsating, then you get half the light, therefore equivalent to half the power.

[edit]
    What I like about this, is that the information is not broadcasted, (it is directional), therefore your neigbours cannot listen (or see in this case) the information that is beying transmitted. This is perfect for a hospital environment where you can send data through the corridors (for example). Of course this does not mean you can't add a layer of encryption to it. Actually it should be quite easy to do that since the data it transmitted in digital format, and never converted to analog in the process (like the WiFi).
    Last edited by CVMichael; May 14th, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael View Post
    [edit]
    What I like about this, is that the information is not broadcasted, (it is directional), therefore your neigbours cannot listen (or see in this case) the information that is beying transmitted. This is perfect for a hospital environment where you can send data through the corridors (for example). Of course this does not mean you can't add a layer of encryption to it. Actually it should be quite easy to do that since the data it transmitted in digital format, and never converted to analog in the process (like the WiFi).
    In that case the old UTP cable is a much better solution. No broadcast, but it's not susceptible to loss of optical visibility. A slight jolt or shake of the laser can make it miss the receiver and cut the transmission.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    In that case the old UTP cable is a much better solution. No broadcast, but it's not susceptible to loss of optical visibility.
    I don't know if your talking about the network cable? But if you do... did you know that the information on the network cable gets converted to analog also?
    Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    A slight jolt or shake of the laser can make it miss the receiver and cut the transmission.
    Yes, that is very true actually... hopefully not too many people slam doors

I think you might be overthinking this a bit. My garage door has a sensor at the bottom that thows a beam across the garage. The alignment has to be ok, but it doesn't have to be perfect, and it handles a certain amount of vibration. I would guess that a laser sensor could be made that would allow a degree of variability that would make this viable.

The place that I see it being most suited for is places where running a cable is impractical...such as my house, but where wi-fi is either too slow, too congested, or too leaky, which is not really an issue with my house, yet (though I can pick up half a dozen different wi-fi sets, now).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

This laser system resembles a lot the fiber optic system. They say it's double the USB speed, but it can potentially (theoretically) reach the same speed as a fiber optic system. You just have to increase the frequency... they say "500 million times a second", that is 500MHz. Just increase to 1GHz, and there, you doubled the speed again...
    Last edited by CVMichael; May 14th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.