Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why iPhones Are So Popular

Addicted Member

Why iPhones Are So Popular

The iPhone 4, 3GS and 4S are the most popular smartphones in that order. Why?

1) Simplicity. A lot of people want a smartphone with as small of a learning curve as possible - in other words, one that "just works."Apple prides itself in delivering that phone. For example, I can switch between apps simply by double-tapping the home button, swiping left or right if necessary, then tapping the app. I didn't have to tweak the phone so I could do that.

2) Siri (iPhone 4S) is currently the only "personal assistant" I am aware of that is available on a cellphone.

3) Some people have or had an iPad or an iPod touch. So using an iPhone is even easier than it would be if they didn't have an iDevice. Plus, the apps that work on an iPod touch also work on an iPhone.

That's my list of reasons.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Re: Why iPhones Are So Popular

Doesn't Android has iRis?

Or is that some kind of urban legend?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I don't get all the fuss about Siri. Even if it was an actual person with an IQ of 150, assigned to sit there and server only my request whenever I want it to, I still think talking to a device is stupid. It's slower, prone to errors and most importantly you look like a douche.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Doesn't Android has iRis?

Or is that some kind of urban legend?
    Yes, and Google's working on an AI assistant named "Majel."

There are other software solutions trying to compete with Siri, but ultimately Siri's got a more solid base than any of them, as it understands context and natural input, which... makes it easy to use and easy to learn. Only new services (to access more data) need to be added, and they'll come over time.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    I don't get all the fuss about Siri. Even if it was an actual person with an IQ of 150, assigned to sit there and server only my request whenever I want it to, I still think talking to a device is stupid. It's slower, prone to errors and most importantly you look like a douche.
    I think Siri is quite useful, for now the majority of what I use it for is alarms, jotting down notes quickly, setting reminders, and checking the weather. I don't often find that it misunderstands me either -- in fact, almost never.

PowerPoster

Ouch, I feel my jaw breaking from yawning so damned hard.

Oh crap he's like 7 years old! Sorry guy, I'll cut you more slack in the future.
    Last edited by dilettante; Mar 13th, 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: oops

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I think Siri is quite useful, for now the majority of what I use it for is alarms, jotting down notes quickly, setting reminders, and checking the weather. I don't often find that it misunderstands me either -- in fact, almost never.
    I guess I'm lucky on this front because I've got these wiggly things called fingers. I'd recommend you pick up a set if you can, they're perfect for operating devices.

I'm with Baja on this. Talking to an electronic device in public makes you look stupid. Almost as stupid who wander down the highstreet making a call via bluetooth. Everyone around you just thinks you're talking to yourself.

On the "ease of use" thing, I can't speak for the iPhone but I bought a touch-screen ipod nano. The interface is horrible and totally counter-intuitive to me. When I'm playing a track and I swipe right, sometimes it takes me to the song list, sometimes it takes me to the album list - I don't know why. When I'm playing a track and press skip forward, sometimes it skips forward and sometimes it takes me to an alphabetical list of tracks - I don't know why. Once I found myself at a screen that showed me the progress of the current track - I don't know how I got there and can't work out how to get there again. Also, I tend to use it to drive my stereo in the car which means I want to use it while driving - the screen presses require pin-point accuracy making this impossible, or at least unsafe enough to prevent me from doing it. And worse still, Apple's hubris in believing their interface is infallibly simple means they've never written a manual for it. So when it does something I don't expect, I don't know why and can't find out.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I guess I'm lucky on this front because I've got these wiggly things called fingers. I'd recommend you pick up a set if you can, they're perfect for operating devices.

I'm with Baja on this. Talking to an electronic device in public makes you look stupid. Almost as stupid who wander down the highstreet making a call via bluetooth. Everyone around you just thinks you're talking to yourself.

On the "ease of use" thing, I can't speak for the iPhone but I bought a touch-screen ipod nano. The interface is horrible and totally counter-intuitive to me. When I'm playing a track and I swipe right, sometimes it takes me to the song list, sometimes it takes me to the album list - I don't know why. When I'm playing a track and press skip forward, sometimes it skips forward and sometimes it takes me to an alphabetical list of tracks - I don't know why. Once I found myself at a screen that showed me the progress of the current track - I don't know how I got there and can't work out how to get there again. Also, I tend to use it to drive my stereo in the car which means I want to use it while driving - the screen presses require pin-point accuracy making this impossible, or at least unsafe enough to prevent me from doing it. And worse still, Apple's hubris in believing their interface is infallibly simple means they've never written a manual for it. So when it does something I don't expect, I don't know why and can't find out.
    Well, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    Well, you have your opinion and I have mine.
    You're the one that asked people for their opinions so why get defensive when they give them to you.

Frenzied Member

Also, I tend to use it to drive my stereo in the car which means I want to use it while driving - the screen presses require pin-point accuracy making this impossible, or at least unsafe enough to prevent me from doing it.
    Yeah, this is the only thing I miss about my old mp3 player with real buttons (which are now a sin to put on portable consumer electronics, right?).

I don't care much about Siri; it's kinda neat, but not a feature that sells the phone for me.

What I like most is simply the stability/dependability. Maybe I just had rotten luck, but my previous smartphone (Palm Treo) had issues. Like crashing upon incoming calls, randomly reassigning custom ringtones amongst contacts, crashing some more, touchscreen being slow or unresponsive, etc. I hate the "it just works" slogan... but it does, and I appreciate that.

You're the one that asked people for their opinions so why get defensive when they give them to you.
    Actually, I can't figure out what this thread is about. I don't see a question, and I don't see much of a point. Was anybody asked for an optinion? I don't see it. The original post, as it currently stands, could actually have been added to the Golden Chair thread as a clever commentary on the thread itself.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

I have an iPhone because I purchased an iPad first and wanted same controls on both devices. Personally I think the iPhone is over rated but have no issues with mine. It is simply a device like any other device, serves a purpose, nothing more nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    I have an iPhone because I purchased an iPad first and wanted same controls on both devices. Personally I think the iPhone is over rated but have no issues with mine. It is simply a device like any other device, serves a purpose, nothing more nothing less.
    HERETIC!!!

On a related note, how would you like your stake: Well-done, rare, pine?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Did you ever read something and shout at the top of your lungs AMEN!!!!!!!!!!? And then follow that up with "Man, I wish I'd written that."

Well, I just did, both. If I could rate a chit chat post this one would have all the stars I could muster.

Bluetooth has been a boon to all the people who were already talking to themselves. They now have the benefit of the doubt, even hairy guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    HERETIC!!!

On a related note, how would you like your stake: Well-done, rare, pine?
    ROTFFL . . . well-done, yum

Bluetooth has been a boon to all the people who were already talking to themselves.
    For some odd reason this reminds me of Scotty in one of the Star Trek movies talking to the computer mouse "Oh Computer . . ."

Actually, I can't figure out what this thread is about. I don't see a question, and I don't see much of a point. Was anybody asked for an optinion? I don't see it. The original post, as it currently stands, could actually have been added to the Golden Chair thread as a clever commentary on the thread itself.
    I think it's implied. With a forum being: "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." and then listing your opinions begs the opinion of others.

Quote Originally Posted by kevininstructor View Post
    For some odd reason this reminds me of Scotty in one of the Star Trek movies talking to the computer mouse "Oh Computer . . ."
    Yeah, I remember that one. I forget the name, but it was the Enterprise Saves the Whales movie. The one where some destructive force was approaching because it no longer heard whale songs....in space.

Your fingers are wiggly?

I find Siri can manage my alarms, reminders, notes, and calendar events faster than I can do it manually. If I use Siri, I say "Create an event at 5 PM on Monday with SuchnSuch", and then, "yep", and voila, if I do it manually I have to swipe to my first home screen, open Calendar, tap the add event button, swipe through a bunch of stuff to select the date, type the name... blah blah. Much quicker to use Siri.

Same is true of Siri, "wake me up at 10", or "set an alarm for me at 10", etc., much easier than navigating through the alarm app, it's just quicker with voice.
    Apple's got some multi-touch functions written out here: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/design.html

I think when it shows you the tracks, you've accidentally swiped up or down, else swiping right should take you back to where you were last, until you're back at the home screen, or touching and holding anything for a certain period of time will take you back to the home screen straight away.

Tapping an album brings up song controls, which I think you may have done also, and swiping left on the album brings up repeat.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    Yeah, this is the only thing I miss about my old mp3 player with real buttons (which are now a sin to put on portable consumer electronics, right?).

I don't care much about Siri; it's kinda neat, but not a feature that sells the phone for me.

What I like most is simply the stability/dependability. Maybe I just had rotten luck, but my previous smartphone (Palm Treo) had issues. Like crashing upon incoming calls, randomly reassigning custom ringtones amongst contacts, crashing some more, touchscreen being slow or unresponsive, etc. I hate the "it just works" slogan... but it does, and I appreciate that.
    Did you try taking a picture or recording a video? I bet my laptop you'll like the camera. I'll even send you a hammer so you can have the pleasure of destroying it.

randomly reassigning custom ringtones amongst contacts,
    For a while I had a phone that actually shuffled the telephone numbers between contacts. Honestly, making a phone call from the contacts list was like a game of social russian roulette. You haven't lived until you've phoned up the girl you cracked onto in the pub last night only to realise your speaking to your Aunty Agnes.

With a forum being: "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."
    That's the latin definition of the term. The modern definition is "a place where people come to anonymously belittle each other". Noob!

Your fingers are wiggly?
    The guys I climb with have nick-named me "Uncle Fiddle Fingers". It's actually a reference to my guitar playing but it's led to a few unpleasant conversations with young parents who've heard me called it for the first time.

I find Siri can manage my alarms, reminders, notes, and calendar events faster than I can do it manually. If I use Siri, I say "Create an event at 5 PM on Monday with SuchnSuch", and then, "yep", and voila, if I do it manually I have to swipe to my first home screen, open Calendar, tap the add event button, swipe through a bunch of stuff to select the date, type the name... blah blah. Much quicker to use Siri
    So what you're saying is that the on-screen interface is difficult to use...

Apple's got some multi-touch functions written out here: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/design.html
    That might be handy. I'll give it a good look later. I do find I struggle with touch screen though. I think I just have clumsy fingers and thumbs so swiping when I meant to tap or swiping in the wrong direction is exactly the sort of thing I do. I can't play shooters on a game pad for similar reasons - lack of co-ordination. That's not an apple problem, though, it's a problem with any touchscreen device. But Apple's championing of touchscreen is probably part of the reason I'm not so keen on their products.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The guys I climb with have nick-named me "Uncle Fiddle Fingers". It's actually a reference to my guitar playing but it's led to a few unpleasant conversations with young parents who've heard me called it for the first time.
    Ah I bet
    So what you're saying is that the on-screen interface is difficult to use...
    Haha no, I'm saying it's quicker to perform those tasks by speaking than touching. The same would be true of any OS, using Siri is faster.
    That might be handy. I'll give it a good look later. I do find I struggle with touch screen though. I think I just have clumsy fingers and thumbs so swiping when I meant to tap or swiping in the wrong direction is exactly the sort of thing I do. I can't play shooters on a game pad for similar reasons - lack of co-ordination. That's not an apple problem, though, it's a problem with any touchscreen device. But Apple's championing of touchscreen is probably part of the reason I'm not so keen on their products.
    Ah yeah, I see. If you owned an iPad or any slate, your touch screen skills may level up

Quote Originally Posted by Icyculyr View Post
    Haha no, I'm saying it's quicker to perform those tasks by speaking than touching. The same would be true of any OS, using Siri is faster.
    Actually no. You would be amazed at what kind of automation and shortcuts you can make with Android. Even to the point of automated actions based on date, time, state (charging, hardware connections...) and location.

Actually no. You would be amazed at what kind of automation and shortcuts you can make with Android. Even to the point of automated actions based on date, time, state (charging, hardware connections...) and location.
    You may be able to get there fast, but you still have to input the date and such. All I've got to say is: "Wake me up at 8". I can probably do that faster than you can flick over to the number 8 in your alarm app, yet alone do the rest of it. Managing your calendar, managing alarms, making quick notes and reminders... all that stuff is much quicker and much less effort to say.

Yeah, I remember that one. I forget the name, but it was the Enterprise Saves the Whales movie. The one where some destructive force was approaching because it no longer heard whale songs....in space.
    Star Trek IV - sigh

You may be able to get there fast, but you still have to input the date and such. All I've got to say is: "Wake me up at 8". I can probably do that faster than you can flick over to the number 8 in your alarm app, yet alone do the rest of it. Managing your calendar, managing alarms, making quick notes and reminders... all that stuff is much quicker and much less effort to say.
    Well my Android knows that when I stick it in the charger late in the evening that I'm going to sleep and it sets the quiet mode, sets the alarm based on day of the week. I think that's easier than saying anything

Well my Android knows that when I stick it in the charger late in the evening that I'm going to sleep and it sets the quiet mode, sets the alarm based on day of the week. I think that's easier than saying anything
    That is easier, but it's only usable for consistent circumstances.

EDIT: I touched a droid today, and I liked it

I had a go of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 inch running ICS. Seemed pretty cool. But it was on contract.
    Last edited by Icyculyr; Mar 15th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Did you ever read something and shout at the top of your lungs AMEN!!!!!!!!!!? And then follow that up with "Man, I wish I'd written that."

Well, I just did, both.
    And yet you think people talking on bluetooth headsets look strange.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

EDIT: I touched a droid today, and I liked it
    I was actually going to quote something else, then you put this one on here. Some of your quotes make me think you ought to be seeing somebody.

I was actually going to quote something else, then you put this one on here. Some of your quotes make me think you ought to be seeing somebody.
    Haha, I should... a girl, that is

I do post those somewhat odd things intentionally

Btw it's a play off "I kissed a girl and I liked it", by Katy Perry.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

My HTC can sense when I'm trying to achieve something productive with it and picks that moment to crash in a new and unusual way.

Since I moved from a cell phone to an iPhone, I can see quite clearly why the iPhone is popular.

Siri: I never thought I'd use such an app (It's simply stupid), but find it quite useful at times: I can "call my wife", "directions to lowes", "Will it rain tomorrow?". I can also 'text while driving'.

Intuitive design: I believe a lot of people down-play this, and also state that the (multitude) of Android phones do this also - as if this makes the 'useability' issue moot.

I would have purchased a smart phone (sic) sooner, but was turned off by the price of an iPhone and the utterly poor design of the Android based phones: I needed a cellular phone with a decent interface, not a pocket computer for geeks.

Honestly, for me, the iPhone just 'does' what I need it to do. Simple mail interface, simple and straight forward phone interface, fast web browsing, a decent camera replacement, maps-right-there, and a few productivity apps.

While i do understand Androids have all these features (plus 1!), to me it feels like the difference between Leather and Pleather; if the latter is really as great as all the advantages over real leather, why is leather the product of choice?

While this isn't a statement that iPhone is better than Android, I do feel that the iPhone takes minimal 'tweaking' to get it to perform anything the user wants it to do. Again, I'm sure the android can do the same, but, you know, I kinda have work to do rather than downloading the latest version of Upset Birds (version 1.7 that works on Samsung, if you have Motorola you need 1.8b, except when...).

Overall, it is a very pleasant device to use. 'Nice' goes a long way with the average user, regardless of expertise.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    While i do understand Androids have all these features (plus 1!), to me it feels like the difference between Leather and Pleather; if the latter is really as great as all the advantages over real leather, why is leather the product of choice?
    Because humans aren't rational?

I don't understand this point. You seem to be suggesting that we are making decisions based on the evidence for and against. No study has ever suggested that humans do that, so why should we be any different for something as clearly emotion-driven as smart phones? Device adoption rates are not an indicator of quality, functionality, useability, or anything of the sort. The entire field of marketing, which is the economic driver of the net...and therefore smartphones...is founded on this premise.

I can also 'text while driving'
    Now that's a smart use of a feature. Finally someone who's starting to describe an apple product in terms of the benefit rather than it's features.

Intuitive design: I believe a lot of people down-play this
    I certainly wouldn't down-play it. I think it's about the most important aspect of any device. I've only ever had my iPod nano from Apple though and, as stated, I dont think the interface is intuitive at all so that makes me question the commonly held belief that Apple interfaces are insinctive... not to me their not, at least in my admittedly limited experience.

'Nice' goes a long way with the average user, regardless of expertise.
    I couldn't agree more.

Thinking back to the the original question on this thread: One word, marketing.

I wish to post something about it. But I don't have an iPhone at all.

Anyway, if you wish to ask me my opinion about iPhone, you better send me one on or before this Christmas, to try it out.

I have started accepting all kinds of gifts like iPads, iPhones, iPods, or anything that starts with the letter "i".

I think the quality of the product is what it makes so popular. Another fact is that, people like you and me are posting comments, sharing news about the latest "i" products, etc. praising it's features and providing free advertising for them, which inturn increases it's popularity.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    I have started accepting all kinds of gifts like iPads, iPhones, iPods, or anything that starts with the letter "i".
    Well no wonder you didn't get my iGift....I sent it last Tuesday, but since you weren't accepting gifts back then, it got returned, so I gave it to my neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    The iPhone 4, 3GS and 4S are the most popular smartphones in that order. Why?

1) Simplicity. A lot of people want a smartphone with as small of a learning curve as possible - in other words, one that "just works."Apple prides itself in delivering that phone. For example, I can switch between apps simply by double-tapping the home button, swiping left or right if necessary, then tapping the app. I didn't have to tweak the phone so I could do that.

2) Siri (iPhone 4S) is currently the only "personal assistant" I am aware of that is available on a cellphone.

3) Some people have or had an iPad or an iPod touch. So using an iPhone is even easier than it would be if they didn't have an iDevice. Plus, the apps that work on an iPod touch also work on an iPhone.

That's my list of reasons.
    I got an iPhone, but I use Linux, I am the living definition of an oxymoron
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd View Post
    I got an iPhone, but I use Linux, I am the living definition of an oxymoron
    If you stopped being so negative, you'd be a regular moron.

Ok, that's probably about the most obscure chemical pun that can possibly be made. If anybody needs a hint, it has to do with Oxidation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast