Thread: [RESOLVED] Access 2010 installed - VB program not working

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Access 2010 installed - VB program not working

My supervisor installed Access 2010 removing the previous version (Access 2007) and can no longer run the VB 6 program I developed. He gets an error that says "Run-time error 713. Class not registered. You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL."
    This file is in his \Access\2000\System directory whereas my file on my machine (I have not changed versions) is in the \Access\2000 directory.
    Is this just a simple case of moving the file or is there going to be more to this? (we have to get permission to move the file so not so simple to move a file for us)
    Thanks
    JC

Re: Access 2010 installed - VB program not working

Make sure all files included in the program that is working on the developer machine are included in the setup package. This way that should work correctly any other machine, also, include links in a readme to any files that might need to upgrade/downgraded to newer/older version for the different operating systems.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

maybe try installing vb 2010

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved To Application Deployment

Thanks for the report Nightwalker83!

@jcar123: Do you have a test machine you can try you solution on before submitted your requirment to the permission granters?

PowerPoster

It is far from clear what "Access" directories you are talking about there.

MSSTDFMT.DLL is a VB6 redistributable library, not part of Access as far as I can determine. It goes into System32 (SysWOW64 on 64-bit systems). Your application installer should be deploying this library when required.

I suppose uninstalling Access 2007 might have removed this library, but that doesn't seem likely.

First I would try this on a test machine first until you are comfortable.

Put a copy of the original file from the machine with the compile in the same folder as the EXE of your project.

If that doesn't work try the unregester the DLL and then regester the DLL in the new location. If it's not in a system folder the program won't see it that's why you have to recompile VB6 programs on a new operating system.

another thing you could do is reinstall your depolyment package on the system. Caution: this might cause the other application from running correctly.

Last choice: Put Access 2010 and the Full version VB6 on the same machine. Install Access 2010 last. If VB6 stops running you have a conflict.

Lively Member

Thanks everyone, we ended up moving the .dll file with permission and it resolved the problem.
    Thanks for all your replies.