Thread: ASP.Net jQuery web app - disconnected?

ASP.Net jQuery web app - disconnected?

I've got a web app that uses jQuery/JS logic on the page to ajax post data to ASP.Net web methods.

What options do I have for moments when the user might be disconnected from the internet - out of touch with those web methods?

Where can I store data locally?

How about if it's an iPad device? What options do I have with a device like that??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Re: ASP.Net jQuery web app - disconnected?

Cookies. Or the [relatively] new web storage. I don't think iDevices are significantly different in this case (assuming you're accessing the app from a browser in either environment).

Do cookies have limits on the amount of data? Or do I simply spin up another cookie once the limit is reached??

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Some pertinent info on cookie restrictions (probably still valid). They're not really intended to hold large amounts of data.

Yeah - I found that link. Seems cookies are a good way to go for small amounts of data - like current "cart" for shopping sites.

That makes sense for me as well - I do not believe I have that much data. Just wanted to make sure I was going down a good path.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Perhaps it goes without saying, but I wouldn't try to make a web app that functions seamlessly without the web; a simple "sorry, can't connect; try again later" notice may be preferable in many cases.

They might drive me towards writing a "local" HTTP listener so I can do a more seamless and full-like "experience".

Options are to have 3g/4g setups on all traveling iPads - that's hardware $$'s and ongoing subscription fees - I'm a one time cost

At least PPC's could run MS SQL CE - I have no idea what an iPad can have for a DB!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

oh uWell thanks you