Thread: Please guide me with this asp.net

Fanatic Member

Please guide me with this asp.net

Hi, I've been hearing about php from my childhood that its very powerful, free, open source blah blah blah right.

But before taking step in the world of php, i was extremely willing to learn asp.net but no one was here who could teach me even a single line of code. Now my thinking again inclining towards asp.net. But when i compare asp.net with php so php seems more better than asp.net; it might be of reason that i am till now unknown/ unaware about the features of asp.net. So Please assist me that how do i start it and what i need to do for this?

King of sapila

Re: Please guide me with this asp.net

There are articles under user gep13 to start with.
    Personally i think they are equal languages but if i am not wrong php is free, not sure about the Linux servers.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Hello,

Unfortunately, asking a question like that is VERY subjective.

Different people like different things, and as a result you will have some people who love using ASP.Net, either in VB.Net or C#, and you will have others that love PHP, or Ruby, or Python, or HTML5....

The list goes on, and on.

What you have to break it down into is what are you trying to achieve, and what technologies you need to use.

If you are developing for *nix, where you are going to be running your website using Apache then (without the use of Mod_Mono) you can't use ASP.Net, and something like PHP is really your only option.

If you are going to be running on a Windows Server, using IIS, then you can pretty much use anything you want, as all the major players, PHP, Python, Ruby etc, all run under IIS, and if they don't, Apache does. Plus you have the benefit of using ASP.Net.

In terms of getting started with ASP.Net, as I mentioned in the PM to you, one of the best places to start is here:

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/videos

There are a wealth of getting started videos there, that you can take a look at, that help with the basics of putting your site together, and how you can start working with PostBacks, and server side code etc.

I would suggest that you take a look at those videos, and then come back with any specific questions that you might have.

If there is something specific that you want an answer to right now, feel free to ask.

Gary

Fanatic Member

Hmm. Gary, I just simply want to be a serious professional website developer that i could build dynamic websites with database connectivity and many features in website etc. Just simple is that what i want.

You will probably need to be qualified in ASP.NET if you are using it as a reason to get a job. For example, I am a web developer, I have my diploma of web dev but it doesn't consist of asp/net only php. Thus, I changed over to software development. In my opinion straight web development is a waste and I guess you already software development since you on a main software development forum?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Fanatic Member

YOU ARE COMING TO MY OPINT NIGHTWALKER
    Now guide me in this direction. Please tell me that you said straight web development is waste, so what should i do then? and i dont want to go to asp.net now.

Quote Originally Posted by ADQUSIT View Post
    YOU ARE COMING TO MY OPINT NIGHTWALKER
    I understand that?

Now guide me in this direction. Please tell me that you said straight web development is waste, so what should i do then? and i dont want to go to asp.net now.
    Sorry, I was talking from the point of view of designing websites. That was more like the stuff I did before I switched over to software development.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Fanatic Member

Night walker, you know what? Exactly i dont wanna be a web designer, that is really the wasting of time. I wanna be Web developer. So what i do for that?

Night walker, you know what? Exactly i dont wanna be a web designer, that is really the wasting of time. I wanna be Web developer. So what i do for that?
    Are you studying software development at uni? If so you are on the right track. The only difference between software development and web development (At least how I studied) is that web development only teaches you about 3 languages (html, php and flash). Whereas, software teaches the same as web development (minus flash, although, at uni it might be an elective?). Plus, VB/C#, Java and the asp.net and the jsp frameworks.

I had the same problem as you.

Fanatic Member

Well, at uni i have studied software engineering and all the languages you have mentioned, we've studied and worked on it but at minor level. just introductory. I've touched the software development as vb.net and sql server, but it didn't give me that taste which i wanted to have (there are many reasons behind that). But now i want to be a web developer, using php and html. So what i do now?

If you want to use php I suggest you ask in the php forum since php, asp and jsp are seperate languages and/or frameworks.

Fanatic Member

Well, Nightwalker, you are also web developer, which language you using?

php, html, C# (with asp.net)! Trying to wrap my head around java.

ADQUSIT,

Did you look at the link that I provided? It as a ton of information for getting started with ASP.Net. I would suggest that you take a look at the material there, and then post back if you have any specific questions.

Gary

Fanatic Member

at gep13, I dont wanna use asp.net. I inclined back to php again. Thanks for your devoted assistance.

at gep13, I dont wanna use asp.net. I inclined back to php again. Thanks for your devoted assistance.
    To each their own

Out of interest, why the decision to not use ASP.Net?

Gary

because i dont know anything about asp.net.
    In my opinion, that is no reason to not use a particular technology, at the very least, you should find out about a particular technology, and then make an informed decision about whether or not to use it. This is just my opinion though.

Gary

King of sapila

So why are you not using php Gary?Hmm?
    Anyhow i would suggest you stick on what you know best.No way on earth can something Microsoft makes be any better than it's competition, it just get's promoted more.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    So why are you not using php Gary?
    I used to use PHP back in the day, but the main reason that I stop using it was because, for me, it didn't "feel" right. I know that doesn't sound like a very good reason, but it is the best way that I can describe it. Using PHP always felt like I was fighting it. I never really liked the way there was inter-mixing of the HTML and server side PHP script, I much prefer the code behind model. On top of that, I found the tooling support that was available at the time to be very poor. This might have now changed, but for me, Visual Studio offers so much more!

PHP is very good at what it does, but for me, the is no choice between doing something in ASP.Net or PHP.

Gary