Thread: Ms comm control

Ms comm control

hi,
    i am using VB 6.0 to receive data from com port other than comm 1, comm2 ports like comm port 17, comm port 85.

then how can i use MS COMM CONTROL to receive data.

pls reply.

Fanatic Member

Re: Ms comm control

If you send me email at dick_grier@msn.com, I will send you a edited version of MSComm32.ocx that supports Com1-255. Note, this version of MSComm is not supported by Microsoft, so you use it at your own risk. However... I've used it for more than 10 years with no trouble.

I have the full description of the change that was done to achieve this, and lots more on the CDROM that accompanies my book, Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications 4.

Dick
    Richard Grier, Consultant, Hard & Software
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

PowerPoster

Apparently MS Comm supports ports 1-16.

Just curious but why are you referencing such high port numbers? Surely you do not have 85 comm ports on your system do you?

Fanatic Member

USB serial port adapters (and other devices that use Virtual Serial Ports) commonly are installed with port numbers higher than 16, and it isn't always possible to renumber them to lower port number. Also, if you are distributing software for use by others, you'd like to be able to support such ports without the issue of dealing with the Com1-16 port limitation.

Dick
    Richard Grier, Consultant, Hard & Software
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

PowerPoster

Learn something new everyday

I have worked with serial devices quite a lot but always with hardware com ports in the range of 1-16. I do have some usb serial adapaters but have not taken them out of the package yet.

yes i have arduino board which connect at port 108 in my system. So that i want to interface VB and Arduino. Thnx for reply