Thread: I think i turned something off

Lively Member

I think i turned something off

I havent used vb on this computer in a while and yesterday i had the weirdest experience, there was a bug in my program (i didnt know that) and vb compiled and ran it anyway but the algorithm just didnt do what it was supposed to. After pulling my hair out for half an hour thinking wth could be wrong i saw a typo i made where i failed to add a ")". Fixed that and worked perfectly.

Now as far as i remember vs ide used to pick up on stuff like that, but i think i might have turned something off somewhere because its now almost completely silent even if i purposely make obvious syntax errors, i never thought i'd miss on somebody correcting me but i do what gives?

PowerPoster

Re: I think i turned something off

AFAIK: syntax errors cannot turn off.

i saw a typo i made where i failed to add a ")".
    can you post that buggy line.

Lively Member

well i dont have that specific one anymore nor do i remember it but i just ran into another similar phantom issue, when i find it ill post it

Lively Member

ah didnt take that long, i had this:

MenuPanel.Visible = False
    MenuPanel = New Panel()

which is obviously false and it should tell me "menu panel is not instance of an object blah blah" but it said nothing, just stops executing code there

EDIT: in fact my eyes wandered to the output log which has "A first chance exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred" but thats it

PowerPoster

I don't know, i walked through IDE option but cannot find any setting to disable error warning

From Tools> Settings menu Export your current settings to save it then Reset and see if this will help.

Did you have this in Form_Load? If you did, that's probably the issue. On certain systems (64-bit, I think), Load will throw exceptions that the IDE won't catch. Therefore, the result would be that Load would just exit.

That doesn't sound right, though, because what you described was a syntax error that should prevent the Build. However, I have seen many cases where the build will 'miss' something. I wouldn't say that it is common, it's just that I work with it so much that the cases add up. I believe what is happening is that there is a bug, possibly exclusive to 2010, that causes the conditional compiler to not always notice changes such that it uses older versions without re-compiling, and thereby misses something. I suspect that this is more likely than this being some relic of the Form_Load issue (which isn't technically a bug).
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

its not in form_load but the event originates from form_load. I just tested the same file on my laptop (same os, same vs) and the program compiles and instantly breaks due to the null reference error which is what i would expect from my pc too, odd stuff

Ok, a Null Reference error is different from a syntax error, which a missing ')' should create. That one does sound like a Form_Load issue, though I can't say why it would happen on one computer and not the other if the two are really running the same OS. As a general rule, you would have to protect yourself by wrapping the Form_Load code in an exception handler. If doing so causes the error now to show up on the first computer, then that is your issue. After all, the exception is still being raised, it is just being missed by the IDE, if it is thrown by code in the Load event, or in any code called by the Load Event.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing