Thread: Get information about graphics being displayed

Fanatic Member

Get information about graphics being displayed

Is there any way in any language to retrieve information from the graphics memory about the graphics being displayed?

What I'm wanting to do is create some 3D maps of a game world, and I'm wondering if it would be possible some how parse that information out of the graphics memory while playing the game?

Fanatic Member

Re: Get information about graphics being displayed

Still looking for any information that might can help with this. Can't seem to find anything on the internet. When searching all I can find are things about writing to and read the graphics memory for your own program, and then a bunch of stuff about various types of graphics memory lol.

I dont think its possible cause otherwise we would have a bunch of people cracking into the game modifying its data. The map info is put into a file and is also encrypted along with the texture data, sounds, music, etc. Also copy protection plays a role as well. We wouldnt want a bunch of games using the same map would we.

Fanatic Member

Hrmm, I'm not really sure how simply reading graphics data would be cracking into the game and modifying data lol. Even if graphics data were to be modified, it would be a visual change only and not modify any actual values. Worse case scenario is you have things like wall hacks for Modern Warfare, that are already done. Not sure what methods they use, but the fact that they can do it makes me think I what I want to do may be possible.

I'm not looking to copy a map from a game to another game, I'm simply looking to create 3d map files. For the purpose of creating accurate map directions and such. A 2d map doesn't do a very good job of showing multiple levels of something. You have to have multiple 2d maps.

How does a program like Fraps record a game?
    Last edited by StevenHickerson; Feb 28th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Fraps just records a video of whatever you play. The actual data is inside a file and encrypted. To extract the data on screen would impossible cause theres no way of knowing what the pixels represent. And by memory would be very very difficult cause of the millions of possibilities and registers you would need to search through and there is no way of knowing if the data is part of the map